Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degrees of freedom

Options
  • 30-10-2010 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm currently taking a course in mechanics but am from an electronic background Due to missing out on the first few lectures, through no fault of my own (timetable clash) i'm a bit lost. See example problem below

2i052tl.jpg

I understand Grubler's equation: M = 3(N-1) - 2f1 - f2 is to be used.

I can't figure out how to find f1

In my solution it says f1 = 3 but i can't figure out where that is coming from...

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i did a quick internet search to see what grublers equation was about as i originally thought you were on about fea.

the below link might be of some help

http://www.nuigalway.ie/mechbio/downloads/FinThMachines2.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Krancjar wrote: »
    I'm currently taking a course in mechanics but am from an electronic background Due to missing out on the first few lectures, through no fault of my own (timetable clash) i'm a bit lost. See example problem below

2i052tl.jpg

I understand Grubler's equation: M = 3(N-1) - 2f1 - f2 is to be used.

I can't figure out how to find f1

In my solution it says f1 = 3 but i can't figure out where that is coming from...

Any help is much appreciated.

F1 is the number of joints with 1 dof.
    (1-2),(1-3),(2-3)

consider the base (1) as another link.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Anywhere you have a connection to ground, that counts as no.1

Advertisement