Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of being short changed

Options
  • 30-10-2010 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Ive noticed alot of cashiers at betting office...try to pull a fast one alot of the time. Ive come across not been paid the higher sp than my docket. when i question im told. oh u should have said it was a higher sp. bull cause it shows up on system. sometimes ive been blatantly paid a 5 or 10 less in my winnings. they apologise and give back. I think there is a bit of this going on. im not saying its constant but its there. I also know what to expect to collect and want answers if im mistaken. Sometimes there is human error but alot of the time is called skimming. Beware Bettors and always be sure your being paid out correctly. funny i rarely get paid more by human error. Anybody else voice there concerns?????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

itchy_sack wrote: »
    Ive noticed alot of cashiers at betting office...try to pull a fast one alot of the time. Ive come across not been paid the higher sp than my docket. when i question im told. oh u should have said it was a higher sp. bull cause it shows up on system. sometimes ive been blatantly paid a 5 or 10 less in my winnings. they apologise and give back. I think there is a bit of this going on. im not saying its constant but its there. I also know what to expect to collect and want answers if im mistaken. Sometimes there is human error but alot of the time is called skimming. Beware Bettors and always be sure your being paid out correctly. funny i rarely get paid more by human error. Anybody else voice there concerns?????????????

Bull, because it doesn't. The bet is captured at the odds taken. If the horse wins then it settles it at the price taken and the system shows it as so; and if it finished better the bet has to be re-captured without the odds on it so that the SP is taken.

Everyone should know what they're entitled to get back anyways, otherwise you're just pissing away money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

The system can be set to show the higher SP so it aint bull. Ive worked in a bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Depends on the system the bookies have but what UnitedIrishman said is correct at least for the bookies I used to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

System in the bookies i worked for was alphameric i know pp and lads dont use that system so could be different for other shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Just to muddle it more, not all bookies give guaranteed prices either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I know not all bookies have guaranteed prices, but in all fairness its stupidity not to bet with one which does guarantee prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

If it was a shop with the alphameric system, the board prices can only be set on singles to give the higer SP. if its an early price you took it would have to manually settle the bet. Ive been working on the system for the past 7 years. The cashier should of checked before paying out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That is of course easier said than done in some circumstances, particularly if you work in an incredibly busy shop. The responsibility lies with the cashier but you should always make sure that your payout is correct regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    The system can be set to show the higher SP so it aint bull. Ive worked in a bookies.

In Lads the system doesn't settle it, the cashier has to settle it manually. I'd imagine it's because across the water they don't do guaranteed prices and thus they wouldn't have a completely different system made for here.

I've worked in places that do about 600-1000 slips a day, it's tough to ensure everything is re-captured and paid out properly if you've 10 lads jumping over the counter trying to bet on a virtual. Just make sure you know exactly what you should be paid and let them know - because to be honest, if you don't know then you probably shouldn't be betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 itchy_sack

i didnt mean my post to get so technical. just noticed not getting paid out correctly a few times. wanted to see if it was common occurence from other people. I normally bet in a small independent bookmakers because its the nearest one to my house in dublin. He has no such system. But staff can be a bit sneaky. thats all. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

itchy_sack wrote: »
    But staff can be a bit sneaky.

Then why keep going back if you think they're dodgy? There are plenty of bookies around

Advertisement