Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of childhood did you have?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭

During my childhood I had cream thrown over me on a daily basis,
    I was pummelled with black cherries and beaten with small shards of chocolate.
    It wasn't easy growing up in the gateaux.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

A forgettable one, can't remember most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

an awful one until i hit fourteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ba dum dum tssshhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Quite communist behind the Iron Curtain, but had it's positives. If only my dad wouldn't die I would consider it to be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Years of therapy to get over it! Thanks for reminding me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Masturbation made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The kind of childhood that made me believe that I'd be a productive adult.

How wrong I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

ejmaztec wrote: »

I'm sure you'll gateaux-ver it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Nailz wrote: »
    Masturbation made it.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    :)

and three fingers up your arse with the other hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

still in therapy so it wasn't that great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It was bookended with babyhood and adulthood really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So poor Frank McCourt would take pity on me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

So poor Frank McCourt would take pity on me :(

Boo hoo, you know what I got for Christmas as a kid. I got a pack of cigarettes.

Old man grabbed me and said: "Hey smoke up Pete!" Okay, so go home and cry to your daddy, don't cry here, okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Sounds like a cakewalk to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mine was pretty tough, I'm not going into it because members of my family post here. Leaving that aside, well...

Growing up in Ballymun, with red hair & freckles you had better be a good fighter and a long distance runner - I was never built for running!.

I left school at 13 and spent most of my teen years hanging around the blocks and the shopping center. This was at the time of the heroin boom I guess you could call it, fairly quickly most of my mates where turning on smack, if there was no smack then it was phy, DF's etc.. any opiate they could cook up and turn on.. Thank God I was terrified of needles.

Lost a lot of friends to it, RIP.

And that was that, drugs, thieving, fighting, joy riding, horses, death, AC/DC, glue, petrol, denim & long hair!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

well i lived in the ever expanding D15 so my childhood was full of adventures to the feilds , getting chased by the farmer. Then later on we used to run around building sites aroubd this time of year robbing wood for the bonfire. For some reason counting how many tyres and pallets we had and telling the neighboring estate how many we had while robbing there wood
    On weekend days id leave home a 11 and play football till dark.
    When i got into my teens we would hang around the blanchardstown center , usually without money.
    So i guess i had a good childhood and was not wrapped up in cotton wool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

All I can remember is roller blades, pogs and premier league stickers. Oh the horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Driving tractors and heavy machinery on the roads at 12. Licence? Insurance? :confused:

Buying old cars and rallying them around fields, pulling handbrake turns around round bales.

Sitting on trailers full of hay for extra weight, bouncing around and dodging tree branches. Quite a drop down to the road below!
    Hanging off the back off tractors standing on the hitch by the PTO shaft.

No health & safety back then, well the gardaí would pull you off the road for this nowadays.
    Probably for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    All I can remember is roller blades, pogs and premier league stickers. Oh the horror.

All I can remember is ....em....naw. its gone...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

an interesting one

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

You couldn't call it boring anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I done some serious dealing with the stickers during lunch .
    Got rid of 5 vinnie jones one day and got united shiny for a paul ince and andy townsend . Should be a car sales man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

:eek:
    :confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A good one. Only thing is I thought it would last forever. Sadly, it didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

barbarians wrote: »
    You couldn't call it boring anyway

Not the way you tell it anyway!.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Driving tractors and heavy machinery on the roads at 12. Licence? Insurance? :confused:

Buying old cars and rallying them around fields, pulling handbrake turns around round bales.

Sitting on trailers full of hay for extra weight, bouncing around and dodging tree branches. Quite a drop down to the road below!
    Hanging off the back off tractors standing on the hitch by the PTO shaft.

No health & safety back then, well the gardaí would pull you off the road for this nowadays.
    Probably for the best

All this brings back great memories, best days of your life as they say, well for me anyway, wish I could have stayed a kid forever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I had mixed childhood. Teased by the other kids all the time. I was not protected the adults of the time. 52 years later I have been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome which is a disability with social situations etc.

It makes some sense of an otherwise turbulent and puzzling life.

Still do not understand why children hate differences so much.

My life is much better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Spring, Summer and Autumn were spent playing in the woods. Building forts and the like.
    During the Sumer evenings we would raid the local fruit farm for no reason other than divilment. It was a great adrenaline rush, especially for those of us who worked there during the day.

In the run up to Hallowe'en we would hit the two tyre centres. One would give us the old tyres and we just stole them from the other one (the best part was rolling them down the path and ohping that the cops wouldn't show up, which was rare enough as there wasn't a station in Leixlip at the time. Then, when I was about 14 the Lucan cops started to show up more often. The just made it more exciting when you were rolling the big ones and didn't want to lose the honour of bringing such a prize home).

In the Winter we would spend a couple of weeks cutting down almost dead trees in the woods for Christmas logs, nab a trolley from the supermarket and go door to door selling the logs. We would easily pull in about £30 or £40 a night and all we had to buy were some cheap candles and a few tins of snow spray.
    Closer to Christmas we would go carol singing. We would cut a 2 litre bottle of milk in half, cover it in wrapping paper and put a sad look on our faces as we held it up after the carols. This too was quite lucrative for Three 10/11/12 year olds.

The forts we build in the woods came in handy when we were 13/14 and the girls joined us in the woods for kiss chasing games.
    The girls were really liberated, so by the time we turned 15 the kiss chasing had evolved to ladies choice of "kiss, feel or fúck" when caught.
    20 years on and I'm still a virgin.
    My childhood sucked.

Advertisement