Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy Tab

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

€389 + €24.99 a month on an 18mth contract is a bit steep, setting aside the fact that until Android tablets hit critical mass there's going to be very few apps out there that make use of it's increased screensize and capabilities over a phone.

Even as a staunch Android advocate I can't help but think at this pricepoint, and with Android on tablets soo immature, that if you want a tablet right now you should get an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

i went into vodafone to have a look today - they told me 12 month contract.

but anyhow played around with it very quick and video quality excellent - only problem no usb or micro usb connection (just a sdhc slot)

i think ill go for the archos 7 inch 249 euro and with microusb slot _ sdhc slot - no 3g however wifi only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

why d hell should i take out a contract for a tablet lmao...**** that

as above :) either archos or wait for other tablets to follow :)

theres far better stuff out there than galaxy tab

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

theres far better stuff out there than galaxy tab

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

pixmania doing the archros 7 (7inch) for 160 euro. was going to get one till I read that the reviews about the screen. :( going for the archros 5 smaller screen but with a few tweaks you can get froyo 2.2 running on it :D

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    Like what?

well alot of stuff here :)

there's far nicer alternatives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

well alot of stuff here :)

there's far nicer alternatives :)

I don't see how that answers my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is the Mobile & PDA's forum:eek:, None of those slabs/tablets/pads you linked to will be available on the networks any time soon except the Galaxy Tab. So there irrelevant in this thread.

I'm considering getting one as my upgrade in January, Not sure why anyone would get it on a new contract but as upgrade it's a very real possibility.
    Looking forward to playing with one shortly.

lol to that...Galaxy tab is a pad slate or w/e you call it...

Its the same **** only with a gsm aerial on it to go around and get into the marketplace under googles marketplace rules.

so how would that be irrelevant since its the same things as other pads just smaller

• Advertisement

so how would that be irrelevant

OK, tell us all what other tabs & slates are available on Voda, 3, O2, Meteor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

This is the Mobile & PDA's forum:eek:, None of those slabs/tablets/pads you linked to will be available on the networks any time soon except the Galaxy Tab.

Do PDAs have to be available on a mobile network?

Mobile devices do but as you said it's Mobile & PDAs.

Do PDAs have to be available on a mobile network?

Modern one's i'd say yes. The PDA is now what's know as a smart phone, aka The Galaxy Tab (what this thread was about before we were informed from an expert how s***** it was.)

OK, tell us all what other tabs & slates are available on Voda, 3, O2, Meteor?

why do they have to be on networks lol?

why do they have to be on networks lol?

If it won't take a sim card it's more of a pc/netbook than a mobile/pda.

Have you anything you can add to the Tab discussion, lol?

If it won't take a sim card it's more of a pc/netbook than a mobile/pda.

There's PC/laptops that have Sim card slots for mobile broadband. That makes the mobile/PDA?

Whatever you want to call it ;)

Their not work machines :)
    And their not netbook's.

Their over sized phones with big screen -+ the ability to call.

Main purpose :) To put your phone down and mess around with a bigger screen.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Meteor are due to get the Tab this week - Wednesday believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I've waited ages for an alternative ipad device over the last few months. I was looking at the exopc (€860?!), the archos 101 (still not available) and this galaxy tab.

I ended up going to PC World last saturday and was messing about with the demo ipad on display and absolutely loved it. Ended up buying one!

No flash support? Haven't missed it one bit.
    No USB? I do not care. Can easily load stuff on to it through itunes. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I've waited ages for an alternative ipad device over the last few months. I was looking at the exopc (€860?!), the archos 101 (still not available) and this galaxy tab.

I ended up going to PC World last saturday and was messing about with the demo ipad on display and absolutely loved it. Ended up buying one!

No flash support? Haven't missed it one bit.
    No USB? I do not care. Can easily load stuff on to it through itunes. Simple.

I have had an iPad since they launched in the UK, Android tablets won't catch up imo until 2012 once Android tablets reach critical mass and the Market is comparable to Appstore for tablets.

iTunes is a PoS, and your iPad will begin to irritate you over time for all the jobs meglomania that's built into it. The BBC Website is largely flash as is half the web, and given the 10" screen I find myself visitng the full websites, not the flashless mobile ones, one thing that really annoys is RTE live/player is flash only, the list goes on and on.

But at the end of the day the simple fact is iPad is going to remain streets ahead of the nascent Android tablet scene for at least a year to come, and if you want a tablet now then the iPad is the best choice imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement