Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pages ripped from Library Books

Options
  • 30-10-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I had heard rumours of this happening but never quite believed it....until Thursday when I got a book out and the VERY pages I needed for an essay had been crudely ripped out using a biro:mad::mad: Subsequently, my friend told me that she has found pages missing numerous times from Law Journals...Why, oh, why would anyone rip the pages out? (other than not wanted to pay 6c per sheet per 2 pages from the book to photocopy)
    Also, why are most of the books I get underlined, highlighted, notes in the margin?.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

It's very poor form. I once heard that some students do it precisely so that their classmates won't have the relevant source, hence making it easier for them to top the class.
    lindtee wrote: »
    Also, why are most of the books I get underlined, highlighted, notes in the margin?.....

This, I don't mind. I think it helps with one's study to make notes, and those notes might be useful for future readers of the book. I've recently gotten into the habit of underlining and annotating books I own myself; it's great for coming back later to pick out choice quotes.

Lately I took out a book on Number Theory from the Boole, and really wanted to go to town on it with margin scribbles, but I said instead that I'd purchase the book myself, and so be free to annotate unrestricted. This 400 page book is priced at €45. :o So underlining the library copy may be the only choice.

On a final unrelated note, the cost of that book gives a hint at the cost of running the library altogether. There's a maths journal in the library that contains 3 issues per year, 1000 pages for the year, and costs €100 to subscribe to. I think it is essential that we keep funding the Boole because a well-stocked library really is one of the essential pillars of a proper academic institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I agree that its a brilliant Library, its an awful shame that some people do not have any respect for the books:( Just checked the rrp for the book, and its £42.50 (stg)

The underlining, etc didn't bother me so much until I had to read a book for a book review and I couldn't do it with all the annotations, various shades of underling, highlighting...so I ended up buying a copy of the book instead. (although in hindsight the annotations may have been somewhat helpful:o)

On another unrelated note, I find www.awesomebooks.com great for getting cheap (although usually older editions) of text books. Its free delivery for 2 books or more and a lot of them are £1.99 so its not a big dent in the pocket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd agree with posters it is very, very bad form to remove the pages.
    Though slightly OT, I've noticed that a good few the textbooks from the period of my first degree at UCC are still there, two decades ago. How often does the Boole refresh its stock?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

They bring in new books every month, don't know how often they get rid of older books - I know there were a couple of books I was looking at for essays, and the first right through to the fourth edition of the same book were there

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I came across this myself just yesterday. I was lucky though in that someone had kindly put a post-it inside the flyleaf saying which pages were ripped out and what topics they covered. At least I could just choose a different copy instead of getting home and then discovering it!

If I come across any more books with missing pages I'll probably do the same thing, will save others hassle in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

law appears to have a bad reputation for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

lindtee wrote: »

the books are like this because students owned the books at some stage and then donated them to the library when they were finished with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I came across this myself just yesterday. I was lucky though in that someone had kindly put a post-it inside the flyleaf saying which pages were ripped out and what topics they covered. At least I could just choose a different copy instead of getting home and then discovering it!

If I come across any more books with missing pages I'll probably do the same thing, will save others hassle in the future.

Try and report it to the library staff if you can, they have a replacement policy for damaged books.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Can students donate books to the library? I have a few that I just can't seem to get rid of but I know they are still used/relevant and hate to have them here acting as a doorstop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

jacko1 wrote: »
    law appears to have a bad reputation for it

You know, in the public law libraries, pages are often stolen by actual lawyers to prevent their opposition from obtaining them for their case. Maybe this is all part of their preparation for their trade. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement