Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative christmas

Options
  • 30-10-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi All, anyone any ideas on how to have a sort of alternative Christmas. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Depends on what sort you mean by 'alternative' - there could be many interpretations.
    Do you want no decorations/no presents/no tree, and different food?
    or do you want a quirky Christmas with different food and an odd twist on decorations?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Good point Mod!. does need some clarification.
    Ok, I don't celebrate Christmas and its very difficult to find alternative ways of spending the Christmas period here in Ireland. I'm at the stage now where I believe there is no other way. There's no charity work, they all have enough volunteers, they just want your money and theres no paid employment suitable to my capabilities.
    So its over to boards, heres hoping for some creative ideas. Won't be easy!:D
    Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well have you family / friends nearby that you could spend the time with anyway?
    You don't have to celebrate Christmas but you could have a nice meal / fun day spent with people close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I would imagine there is always people looking for volunteers more so at christmas time than any other time of year:confused:

do you plan to stay in Ireland?
    If not visit a non-christian country maybe

will you be spending christmas alone?
    If not you will need to consult your guests

are you talking about just christmas day? just dinner?
    what do you want or not want to celebrate? tis a wee bit sketchy!

help us help you!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

take advantage of the holiday,do what you could never find time to do,or treat it like a sunday and do what you do then..

• Advertisement

If any one has any volunteer work please let me know. But please don't direct me to places that I can try. Believe me when I tell you there are no volunteer places...I've tried. You nearly always get the same answere...'there are other ways you can help' sick of hearing that now. What it means is, they have enough volunteers they just want your money.

I can't go with friends,,,,hello! ..they are all celebrating christmas.
    And Littlemis that would be a good idea but I am in the fortunate position in that I have plenty of time to do all the things that most don't have the time to do. Every day is Sunday :Dlol.

I don't particularly want to leave the country.
    It really is the impossible question. I would be amazed if someone came up with an answere.
    I suppose it will have to be a sign on the front door 'Christmas Cancelled' and one of those little signs containing a message for Sante that you stick in the front lawn....only mine will read "Sante please leave me alone and call next door" lol lol lol:D:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Do your own volunteering. I am sure that xmas eve night and xmas night is no different to any other where homelessness is concerned so you could drive around the city and give out food or blankets to the homeless. I am sure friends would be happy to support you in your efforts and donate a small % of their xmas budget to your cause.

You could also turn up at old folks homes and ask if any of the residents get little or no visitors - you could go sit with that person for a couple of hours and maybe read a story to them or share some "nice" news from the outside world.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I can't go with friends,,,,hello! ..they are all celebrating christmas.
    And Littlemis that would be a good idea but I am in the fortunate position in that I have plenty of time to do all the things that most don't have the time to do. Every day is Sunday :Dlol..

There's nothing fortunate about unemployment.

I don't particularly want to leave the country.
    It really is the impossible question. I would be amazed if someone came up with an answere.
    I suppose it will have to be a sign on the front door 'Christmas Cancelled' and one of those little signs containing a message for Sante that you stick in the front lawn....only mine will read "Sante please leave me alone and call next door" lol lol lol:D:p.

There are plenty of people in Ireland who don't celebrate Christmas.Its not illegal and its not difficult.

BTW if you have an "alternative Christmas" you're still marking Christmas, alebit in a different way. If you don't want to celebrate it , just treat it like a normal day.

I live in a Muslim country, I don't celebrate Ramadan (which lasts for a whopping 40 days) or Eid el Adha. Its really not difficult. I just don't engage in any of the activities. Even so, I am respectful and mindful of the fact that most people around me do celebrate it, therefore, I have neither the need nor inclination to broadcast my non-involvement. If I am invited to join in I just politely decline.

Watch a movie, go for a walk, read a book, do whatever you want to do. Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to eat turkey, give presents,meet family, and go to Mass.

Hi Helen T,
    Interesting comments:-
    ""Do your own volunteering. I am sure that xmas eve night and xmas night is no different to any other where homelessness is concerned so you could drive around the city and give out food or blankets to the homeless. I am sure friends would be happy to support you in your efforts and donate a small % of their xmas budget to your cause. "".

I would ask around for more than a donation, I would want someone to come with me. It can be quite dangerous out there on the streets. I was homeless myself once. It wasn't for too long thank goodness but there were times I found it a terrifying experience.

""
    You could also turn up at old folks homes and ask if any of the residents get little or no visitors - you could go sit with that person for a couple of hours and maybe read a story to them or share some "nice" news from the outside world.""

I have also done visits to old folks home as you suggest but it was a long time ago ,way before the Celtic tiger years. I would imagin its not the same now from a security point of view. Probably need Garda clearance etc not that that would be a problem as I have been cleared twice before.

You know what I'd really like, I would love to look after or work with dogs!. And before you say it...yes I've checked every dog shelter /home/kennels.etc etc that i can find.

Thanks again for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

I think at this stage, you should now try to solve the dilemma for yourself,all who have offered an opinion,has had it rejected,so it seems you have done it all...final resort,stock up on everything, lock yourself away from the outside world and wait for it to blow over just as you would a storm....OR....:) you can go feed all the stray dogs you see....carry a bag of food around and they will soon find you,on the off chance that you can't suss out a stray hungry dog.....

• Advertisement

Thanks all. thread now closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement