Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of turning out a horse

Options
  • 30-10-2010 3:41am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just been reading a thread in the animal forum and noticed that people are quite happy to pay up to 80 euro to have their dog groomed by a professional dog groomer. :eek: I'm not sure if I'm living on another planet, but I find that horrendously expensive, especially considering what grooms are paid when bringing a horse to the races or a competition.

50 euro is the average cost to have somebody turn out a horse and look after it at the races. And it's not just a quick job, either. So for me to see that professional dog groomers are paid 80 for something that takes about an hour max. has absolutely shocked me.

So I was wondering is the 50 euro paid to most grooms really low or is the 50-80 for dog grooming exceptionally high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

80 quid?! Are they talking about borzois or something? Thats crazy money.

I think 50 quid for a groom a the races is something different since they have to accompany the horse for the day.

By the way, my horse who has lots of white bits, takes way more than an hour... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ya would think it would be the other way around! The only thing I have to say in its defence is that I have a friend going on to be a dog groomer and the course is very expensive. Still, there's something a bit mixed up with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

convert wrote: »
    I've just been reading a thread in the animal forum and noticed that people are quite happy to pay up to 80 euro to have their dog groomed by a professional dog groomer. :eek: I'm not sure if I'm living on another planet, but I find that horrendously expensive, especially considering what grooms are paid when bringing a horse to the races or a competition.

50 euro is the average cost to have somebody turn out a horse and look after it at the races. And it's not just a quick job, either. So for me to see that professional dog groomers are paid 80 for something that takes about an hour max. has absolutely shocked me.

So I was wondering is the 50 euro paid to most grooms really low or is the 50-80 for dog grooming exceptionally high?

In fairness to dog groomers some breeds take way more than an hour to do, especially those with thick coats or complicated show cuts. I pay between 30-40 for a small terrier with a wirey coat that takes exactly an hour to cut, wash and dry so I can imagine how long it would take to cut, wash and dry something like a poodle, st bernard or samoyed! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Well €50 is the average around here for a full clip for a horse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

€80 to clip my dog is money well spent, €50 of that will go on sedatives. Hes a mad little yolk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

dee o gee wrote: »
    In fairness to dog groomers some breeds take way more than an hour to do, especially those with thick coats or complicated show cuts. I pay between 30-40 for a small terrier with a wirey coat that takes exactly an hour to cut, wash and dry so I can imagine how long it would take to cut, wash and dry something like a poodle, st bernard or samoyed! :eek:

Regardless of how long it takes, that price is still way more than somebody is paid for grooming a horse, plaiting it, bringing it to the races, staying with it for most of the time there, tacking it up, parading it and post race care...

30-40 for a small terrier is exhorbitant when compared with paying 50 euro for clipping a horse or putting on a full set of shoes, or for looking after a horse at the races. It's an absolute rip-off. And the cost of the course does not justify those kinds of rates...

40 euro an hour is nice money if you can get it... Definitely think I'm in the wrong business.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement