Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype and Recording

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Does anyone ever use Skype recording ?

I'm going to do a session with a pianist who has his own studio - we plan to feed his console out (inc talkback ) to Skype which I will feed into my rig.

Might be interesting ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Does anyone ever use Skype recording ?

I'm going to do a session with a pianist who has his own studio - we plan to feed his console out (inc talkback ) to Skype which I will feed into my rig.

Might be interesting ....

Explain more please!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'm producing an album at the moment with a session muso band - the rhythm tracks are done and I've sent (Dropbox) a rough mix to a piano player to play some lead stuff on the tracks.

My plan is to try and get a Skype link with his console out ( the backing track plus his playing being fed to me) and I will have a mic my end.

So I'll be able to see and hear what he's at with his Talkback as necessary.

He'll do his connection via a laptop by the piano - so not running on his recording computer.

Just wondering has anyone tried similar and had any pointers ?

I'm producing an album at the moment with a session muso band - the rhythm tracks are done and I've sent (Dropbox) a rough mix to a piano player to play some lead stuff on the tracks.

My plan is to try and get a Skype link with his console out ( the backing track plus his playing being fed to me) and I will have a mic my end.

So I'll be able to see and hear what he's at with his Talkback as necessary.

He'll do his connection via a laptop by the piano - so not running on his recording computer.

Just wondering has anyone tried similar and had any pointers ?

Great idea. I know a lot of voiceover guys do this. I did some work a while back dealing with translated recordings in over 30 languages. They record in their studio with the client listening, who gives feedback live on an isdn line. Do a google for a voiveover artist and they'll all be talking about their ISDN lines on their website. Info here. I havn't heard of anyone doing it with music though. That usually seems to be be FTP'ed. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes for you.

frobisher wrote: »
    Great idea. I know a lot of voiceover guys do this. I did some work a while back dealing with translated recordings in over 30 languages. They record in their studio with the client listening, who gives feedback live on an isdn line. Do a google for a voiveover artist and they'll all be talking about their ISDN lines on their website. Info here. I havn't heard of anyone doing it with music though. That usually seems to be be FTP'ed. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes for you.

Yes the ISDN thing is indeed pretty common.

It could be interesting insofar as using foreign players on recordings ...

Yer man's in Longford ... so if it doesn't work I'll see him in 45 mins eitherways !

• Advertisement

Yes the ISDN thing is indeed pretty common.

It could be interesting insofar as using foreign players on recordings ...

Right up my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Try Wiretap Studio or Wiretap Studio anywhere. This allows you to take any 2 audio feeds into your computer & record them or route them into a DAW as an AU plug in.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/

Not sure if it does RTAS but there's a demo anyway...& sure Pro Tools 9 - that's being announced at this week's AES allegedly works with AUs anyway. ;)

www.jjvernon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

http://www.sourceelements.com/source-connect/

Have a look at source connect if you haven't already.
    It's pricey enough but I think there's a full demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I don't think you should use Skype for something like that. It tends to sacrifice quality in favor of keeping the connection so unless both your connections are perfect, you'll have quality issues. Even then, it's still compressed so it won't sound great. The programs the other lads mentioned seem good.

There are some other communication programs like TeamSpeak2 and Ventrillo where you can set the quality of the codec very high. That could work but it'll require a bit of setting up.

I use Skype regularly and usually the quality is great - remember I'm not recording over the net, only producing - the files will then be sent to me.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

I use Skype a fair bit, i had downloaded "Pamela" for skype before, it has recording functions on it.

for online jaming ive used NinJam too, it right laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I use Skype regularly and usually the quality is great - remember I'm not recording over the net, only producing - the files will then be sent to me.

Thanks.

I assume he's using a Stage piano (electronic) and not a real piano.

You should be fine. Not so sure if it's a real piano. Something like Skype works by selecting partial frequencies - so does a mobile phone. What you might hear would be deceptive - A stage piano, will always get a good sound - the same circuits doing exactly the same thing each time.

You could even get Midi files from him.

Yes - it's him doing the recording on his own system - so he'll DropBox me files later.

Advertisement