Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel does/did Vegetarian

Options
  • 29-10-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Anyone waste a half hour of their lives last night watching Rachel Allen doing a vegetarian meal on RTE - hilarious (though I'm sure it wasn't meant to be) effort where she was teaching a noobie to cook a meal for the noobies mates who turned out to be vegetarian. The starter was a chickpea pancake thingy with a bit of a salad and a yogurt and mint sauce. The main was a root vegetable curry roasted in the curry sauce served with rice which didn't look too bad when Ms. Allen had a crack at it, but when the noob served up the rice on the night I though I was going to die laughing - the non-intentional sticky rice job strikes again. Anyway Rachel tells the noob that she'll do the dessert which consists of a peach jelly creme something or other. As she was carefully hopping the gelatine into the recipe she goes 'Don't worry - I've checked with the noobs dinner guests and they're not strictly vegetarian, so this will be lovely :eek:' So they're the old 'we don't eat meat, but if you have anything made with the feet of slaughtered cattle that'll do lovely' type of vegetarians.

I'm sure it'll be up on RTE player if, as I said above, you have time to kill...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

As she was carefully hopping the gelatine into the recipe she goes 'Don't worry - I've checked with the noobs dinner guests and they're not strictly vegetarian, so this will be lovely
    :eek:! What a joke! Seriously, lost lots of respect for you there Ms Allen. One step backwards for the portrayal vegetarianism in Ireland.

Just had a quick flick through. 2 min 14 seconds in, she says
    The whole meal is vegetarian
    LIAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Wow! That is amazingly silly!

Silly Rachel Allen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I give up, I can't resist not posting:

Vegan does Rachel

there I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Ah, it was actually kind of interesting up until the dessert. The curry looked good despite the yogurt over-kill, and that chilli rolling thing looks handy! The curry paste she made is actually something I'd consider trying.

I'd be more critical of these 'non-strict' vegetarians for referring to themselves as thus rather than Rachel Allen herself, at least she checked. It is a pity though that she didn't see fit to make a vegetarian dessert seeing as the rest of the meal had been. There's very little restriction with vegetarian desserts.

I was fairly amused by the abundance of posh people, hee hee. And those reflective place mats were a bit weird, I'd imagine it would be slightly off-putting to be seeing your own face while you're eating :P

And the lighting in the studio made it look like something from the 80's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I saw it, absolutely ridiculous! She 'checked' and they're not strict vegetarians. What a lame disclaimer! Although the main course was very good, the meal as a whole was a cop-out and a piss-take because of the jelly dessert!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Touché
    That's what she said :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'd be more critical of these 'non-strict' vegetarians for referring to themselves as thus rather than Rachel Allen herself, at least she checked. It is a pity though that she didn't see fit to make a vegetarian dessert seeing as the rest of the meal had been. There's very little restriction with vegetarian desserts.

That disclaimer reeks of bullscheese.

Yeah, I agree her 'I checked' line comes across as a bit of a weak excuse, but, as I said, my main gripe would be with the vegetarians present who stated that they were fine eating gelatine. It is such people that refer to themselves as vegetarian when they are clearly not that adds to the negative portrayal of vegetarianism. The disclaimer only reflects badly on them, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yeah, I agree her 'I checked' line comes across as a bit of a weak excuse, but, as I said, my main gripe would be with the vegetarians present who stated that they were fine eating gelatine. It is such people that refer to themselves as vegetarian when they are clearly not that adds to the negative portrayal of vegetarianism. The disclaimer only reflects badly on them, really.
    Does it really though? I would have thought this type of thing did more to encourage the idea that gelatine is vegetarian, drinks with animal bits in them are vegetarian, fish is fine as a restaurant's only vegetarian option, etc. Which isn't a good thing, but I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought regarding negative portrayals of vegetarianism. Do you mean we're seen as people who just like to preach but ultimately don't really practice it?

Breezer wrote: »
    Do you mean we're seen as people who just like to preach but ultimately don't really practice it?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Also, what you said about fish being regarded as an acceptable vegetarian option at restaurants and what not. This kind of thing adds to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

So they're the old 'we don't eat meat, but if you have anything made with the feet of slaughtered cattle that'll do lovely' type of vegetarians.

Talk about a 'holier than thou' attitude! That's some chip you have on your shoulder there.

messymess wrote: »
    Talk about a 'holier than thou' attitude! That's some chip you have on your shoulder there.

A bit lost as to where you're coming from - one is either vegetarian or one is not. Methinks the chip is on someone elses shoulder with silly retorts like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

If a bunch of a people are conscionable enough to not eat the flesh of another animal, then I commend them for that, I don't look down my nose at them for eating a gelatine based desert !

henryproter and messymess, commentary on Rachel Allen only and not on each other, please.

sweet-rasmus

messymess wrote: »
    If a bunch of a people are conscionable enough to not eat the flesh of another animal, then I commend them for that, I don't look down my nose at them for eating a gelatine based desert !

Keeping to the point here (and I'm presuming that you have watched the program in question as opposed to commenting without any context) - I do object to someone calling themselves vegetarian and then consenting to have a gelatine based dessert prepared for them to eat. AFAIK gelatine is anathema to vegetarians.

Advertisement