Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish town

Options
  • 29-10-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hey guys and gals im doing a project on john street. basically im looking for old pictures from early 20th century or any stories of old main street in irish town(john street) from as far back as i can up to the 20th century. if anyone has any stories or pics id be much appreciative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Check out the website, limerickslife.ie (I think), it was put together by a Masters student in UL who was researching the Abbey river fishermen, she should be able to give you good direction on what sources to check etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Limerick- a stroll down memory lane is a series of books published by The Limerick chronicle and has lots of pictures of most streets in Limerick from various time periods.Also check out the Old Limerick journal-I think they are up on the city council website.The city museum(years since I was in there) had al ot of old pictures of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

The reference library in the city library is a great place for information on the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Check out the website, limerickslife.ie (I think), it was put together by a Masters student in UL who was researching the Abbey river fishermen, she should be able to give you good direction on what sources to check etc.

Thanks

I didn't know of it's existance but here it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

They have loads if info on old Limerick.
    They are based in the Bishops Palace on the corner opposite King Johns Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Go to the leader office and look through their Chronical archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This is the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Sorry if ye feel this is off topic but I was down around there Saturday and the Irishtown of today is in a sorry state - especially the start of Mungret St approaching Watergate flats.

It looks like part of an apocolypse film set. Broken windows, graffitied shop shutters pulled down on a Saturday morning, litter, and recently constructed buildings are derelict with urine-soaked entrances. What is the point of having fancy indoor market when the visual approach from the Irishtown side is such an abomination.

I couldn't care less if the City Council/Corporation was a million years old. If that is their effort at managing a city centre - then good riddance to it. They are a clearly a failure. They allowed the above to develop and local 'authority' is a misnomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Those falling down buildings are privately owned, not much council can do apart from pursue the owners in court and then the owners will say they cant afford to fix the place.

If the council are powerless to manage streets of a town, it brings us to the fundamental question - what is the point in the council at all?

If they are powerless in such matters as you say, then they are unnecessary, right?

Who wouldn't take that pay and expense entitlement to turn up to weekly debates whilst responsibility is brushed away?

It is situations like this where I am tempted to say that our sovereignty and democracy is a sham and give the céad míle fáilte to the IMF.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    If the council are powerless to manage streets of a town, it brings us to the fundamental question - what is the point in the council at all?

There's a bit of a jump in logic there, imo.

The Council can maintain streets, not the buildings on those streets. The Constitution is pretty clear on the right to own private property etc, the best the council can do is look for bylaws that make it easier to maintain the building frontage in a certain manner and if necessary cpo buildings that are vital to the public good etc. In some circumstances the owners are taken to the Court, the building site on Cecil street for example was in Court because there was legitimate fears the facade could collapse, not sure if it was the owners of the neighbouring buildings or the council who took them to court though.

With due respect to jumps in logic Amazo, I didn't question the right to private property.

It wasn't the owners (negligent as they may be) that pissed in entrances, bust windows, chucked rubbish around, and sprayed walls. Where is the CCTV? Where is the policing? Where is the political will to rescue the place from dereliction?

Sadly, there are currently more than a few streets in Limerick at the moment with vacant commercial property, but they don't suffer the fate of Mungret Street. This is because the political will is there.

topper75 wrote: »
    With due respect to jumps in logic Amazo, I didn't question the right to private property.

It wasn't the owners (negligent as they may be) that pissed in entrances, bust windows, chucked rubbish around, and sprayed walls. Where is the CCTV? Where is the policing? Where is the political will to rescue the place from dereliction?

Sadly, there are currently more than a few streets in Limerick at the moment with vacant commercial property, but they don't suffer the fate of Mungret Street. This is because the political will is there.

Apart from the rubbish, most of those complaints are issues for the Gardai and the building owner, not the the Council

For example, if I wrote "Topper is a gowl" on the side of your house, would you ask the council come by and paint over it, or would you do it yourself? If I broke into your house to steal your world famous collection of Alf Tupper memorabilia, would you ring the Gardai or the council?

People seem to be determined to load as many duties as possible onto the council, the council have only limited powers to deal with absentee landlords.

I agree, btw, that Mungret street is a disgrace, and you'll no doubt be pleased to hear a large part of it is going to used to house a methadone clinic... If I'd my way I'd close the Watergate flats and have the entire place redeveloped into a proper Market quarter but I'm not king... yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 griangraf

theparish wrote: »
    Limerick- a stroll down memory lane is a series of books published by The Limerick chronicle and has lots of pictures of most streets in Limerick from various time periods.Also check out the Old Limerick journal-I think they are up on the city council website.The city museum(years since I was in there) had al ot of old pictures of Limerick.

Just so you know Limerick stroll down memory lane is published by Sean Curtin, not the Chronicle :)

Advertisement