Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'How to overtake a horse' thread

Options
  • 29-10-2010 2:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may remember a thread a while back where cyclists were asking the best method for overtaking horses they met on the road. So it got me thinking that it might be an idea to start a similar thread for motorists with a view to posting a concise version in the motoring forum.

So I was hoping that some of you might like to contribute here and then I could draw up a synopsis to post in the motoring fourm...

A brief version would be something like this:
    slow down and approach with caution
    give as much space as possible when overtaking
    don't tailgate horses
    don't rev engines
    don't beep horns
    heed rider's directions if they give you any

Has anyone anything else they'd like to add?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

convert wrote: »
    Some of you may remember a thread a while back where cyclists were asking the best method for overtaking horses they met on the road. So it got me thinking that it might be an idea to start a similar thread for motorists with a view to posting a concise version in the motoring forum.

So I was hoping that some of you might like to contribute here and then I could draw up a synopsis to post in the motoring fourm...

A brief version would be something like this:
    slow down and approach with caution
    give as much space as possible when overtaking
    don't tailgate horses
    don't rev engines
    don't beep horns
    heed rider's directions if they give you any

Has anyone anything else they'd like to add?

I'd suggest that many motorists need advice for what to do when coming face to face with a horse on a narrow road as well. My preferred method when I see a horse approaching me (even if there's room for both car and horse side by side) is to stop and wait where I am, pulling into the ditch a bit if needs be. Wait for the horses to pass me, then take off smoothly (without revving/gravel spitting) once they're a car length behind me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Thoie wrote: »
    I'd suggest that many motorists need advice for what to do when coming face to face with a horse on a narrow road as well. My preferred method when I see a horse approaching me (even if there's room for both car and horse side by side) is to stop and wait where I am, pulling into the ditch a bit if needs be. Wait for the horses to pass me, then take off smoothly (without revving/gravel spitting) once they're a car length behind me.

You sound like a dream motorist to meet on the roads... :D

The number of cars I've met on narrow roads who won't give me a chance to hop up on the verge (when there is one) is amazing... As for the mother who continuously lets her children scream out the window at me... :rolleyes: (though, in fairness, I think the kids just want to say hello, but still...)

Point noted, and will be incorporated into the post...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You sound like a dream motorist to meet on the roads... :D

I'm a motorist who spent a lot of time in her youth riding on narrow country roads (and guiding groups of other riders around too), and have spent a fair amount of time driving on back roads near stables/farms ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Just thinking that this thread should be posted to every country house about.. or at least into the car forum.

I think the most important thing is patience really. Gosh I hate impatient drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Why do riders insist on walking their horses around the roads on the Curragh? What's wrong with the plains?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

testicle wrote: »
    Why do riders insist on walking their horses around the roads on the Curragh? What's wrong with the plains?

Horses are only allowed on specific parts of the Curragh, and owners/riders/trainers can be fined for riding horses on non designated areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Horses are only allowed on specific parts of the Curragh, and owners/riders/trainers can be fined for riding horses on non designated areas.

Never knew that, I thought the Curragh belonged to the horses in a way?

Patience/manners on both sides are important

I do feel that riders could be checking them behind more and wear hi-viz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I see a lot of riders on the road with no hi-viz on, according to reasearch from the BHS you get up to 2 extras seconds of a driver seeing you with one on even on a grey Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Also acknowledge thanks for cars who have slowed down. Does not take to much to wave thanks. Not acknowledging can mean car drivers wont bother to slow down or stop if needs be. Its a two way thing.

Advertisement