Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanowrimo?

Options
  • 29-10-2010 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Anybody thinking of taking part this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Moi! Missed last year but won in 07 and 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Think of it every year but never get very far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I took part last year, but didn't win. I finished the book during the year though.

I know I shouldn't take part this year-I'm busy editing two books-but I have a plot for a new one and I'm really tempted to get involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sparky Toast

Haven't been on the CW board in ages - and I'm back with a new account and slightly changed name.... :P

I only looked into this today after seeing this thread. Every year I went to the main NaNoWriMo page and ended up not reading up about it. This year I did read about it. I signed up - very nervous!

I have a few story ideas in my head and have no idea how to choose between them. I'd hate to pick the wrong one. But I'm gonna give it a go and hope I get to the end. My competitive spirit will hopefully do the business for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

took part in '08 and '09 and failed miserably both times. don't feel like trying this year but i'll no doubt be contemplating the idea tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

First year hopefully will go well! Good luck every body! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Haven't been on the CW board in ages - and I'm back with a new account and slightly changed name.... :P

I only looked into this today after seeing this thread. Every year I went to the main NaNoWriMo page and ended up not reading up about it. This year I did read about it. I signed up - very nervous!

I have a few story ideas in my head and have no idea how to choose between them. I'd hate to pick the wrong one. But I'm gonna give it a go and hope I get to the end. My competitive spirit will hopefully do the business for me!

What's with the new nick? Do you need in to Write Club with this account?

I'm taking part for definite. I've a strong idea, so hopefully I can do something worthwhile with it :)

I like the idea of 'winning' NaNoWriMo too - all of the competitive satisfaction without directly competing with others. :P

I have one day left to create my outline in my head (possibly on paper). Then let the madness begin!

I'm hoping to finish my outline by midnight and start writing then......I'm foreseeing much caffeine in my immediate future :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm taking part, first year. Loving it so far, horribly nervous about whether I can finish.

nothing wrote: »
    I'm taking part, first year. Loving it so far, horribly nervous about whether I can finish.

I didn't finish last year, I'm determined to make it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

It's my first time round and I have 2773 words already. Cant believe it. i'm really happy but at the same time doing this well already makes me worry the rest of the month won't go quite so smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

I'm giving it a shot this year, after five years of percolating ideas for a novel and not getting much on paper. Hopefully this will be enough of a kick up the arse to get it written at last.

The great thing about it is you just have to start writing. And keep writing. It stops you writing five sentences and giving up because you're too self critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Yeah, it should really help me to might help me to stop from overcome the self-criticism that hampers impedes hinders disrupts my first draft writing. <----DELETE.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I did it for the last 2 years and 'won' both times. My second book is at the querying stage and I've almost finished my query to dispatch to unsuspecting agents! :D

Nanowrimo is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I used to write books since I was a teenager but never finished anything. (Sorry, am tired and my grammar is poor.)
    Nanowrimo MAKES you write. It's a great journey.

Tips for Nanowrimo virgins. (These are tips I've accumulated over the two years from some wise people.)

1. First drafts are supposed to be messy with poor grammer, punctuation mistakes, etc. Just get the words down now. Second and subsequent drafts are when you clean up the 'mess'.

2. You will have good days and bad days. Some days you could write 5000 words, other days 85. Try and write at least everyday. It's the accumulation of small amounts of words that gets you over the finishing line.

3. If you're stuck on a scene, then leave some space and write another scene. It's OK to write out of synch - that's what the 2nd draft is for.

4. Some writers have to have chapters planned out before they start writing while others just start writing with an idea and go 'organically'. I tried both ways and realised the latter method suits me.

5. Don't be too nervous. If you don't get your book finished in the month of November, there's always December. My last 2 books took me longer than November to finish. (I wrote 50k words in November and subsequently wrote another 25k afterwards.)

Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I'm giving it a go. Excited and nervous. Never hit a deadline in my life...but I'm determined to do this one

I procrastinated all day and I thought about 'how little of the plot I know' and 'how I only can think of one scene' and 'how the characters outside of the main one are fuzzy'.

But signing up to NaNoWriMo made me feel like I have a college assignment to do or something - I guilted myself into writing. And I did. About 1,700 words, which is the average you should be writing every day to get to 50k. And this time I wrote and I didn't stop after line 3 and analyse to death and close MS Word.

I hope I can keep this up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Tried to sign up yesterday but the site had crashed - this thread has reminded me to go back and try again!

I've set a goal of 10,000 words with a friend by next Monday - better get my ass in gear! I've totally wasted two days now, so I'll just have to try harder to get there now.

I aim to complete it, but who knows what November will bring! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just reading about this now out of curiousity. Very tempting indeed.... I have a story in mind that I could do, but 50,000 words in a month seems like an awful lot!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's just like 50 VOATs. I'd love to have the time to do this one year. Maybe if it's still going in 2027.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's actually one of my VOATs that I'd expand upon..... tempting tempting tempting.... I'll sleep on it.

I am signed up and ready to procrastinate! :)

I have the bones of an idea from a short story that longs to be longer. It's going to be a shockingly poor 50,000 but it'll be hilarious to edit. :D

10,000 words in. It's a little all over the place, but I'm getting into the swing of it now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Started a couple of days late and yesterday I accidentally deleted everything I'd written. Hadn't quite figured out the direction I was going to take yet, though.

Annoyingly, I have embryonic ideas for a couple of short stories and a novel at the moment, but nothing pinned down.

Don't expect to win NaNoWriMo from this far behind, but I had such a great experience with it last year I might just join in the community again.

My buddy failed, and so did I. No to NaNoWriMo for 2010. Too much crap going on, not enough attention span for 50,000.

Advertisement