Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limewire Shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Good, was full of ****ing viruses anyway!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

smokie2008 wrote: »
    Exactly. There are a few other peer programs which are much better, take up less space, have no viruses and a large range of media.

But generally, torrents is where it's at for now and the future. Everyone I've spoke to is using them instead of these other p2p programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

ILA wrote: »
    Exactly. There are a few other peer programs which are much better, take up less space, have no viruses and a large range of media.

But generally, torrents is where it's at for now and the future. Everyone I've spoke to is using them instead of these other p2p programs.

Torrents are still peer to peer.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

smokie2008 wrote: »

That and inaccurate descriptions of the download.
    Couple I downloaded what was described as "concert footage" but ended up seeing some film where a house wife called a plumber even though there was clearly no leak in her house...always wondered what happened in the end.

Neurojazz, while torrents are still peer to peer with seeding and leeching, there is a much more interactive community vibe where people can rate the download, comment on the content etc. so you at least have some idea of what you're getting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Torrents are still peer to peer.

Limewire use a protocol called Gnutella which is peer to peer - it's similar to the torrent protocol - You don't need to use limewire to access the gnutella peers. I used to use bearshare.

The ISPs will have to block the protocols if they're to stop the illegal filesharing.

The Americans seem to be taking the whole piracy thing very seriously now. They've been shutting down a lot of sites in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Won't really be missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

jeasus havnt used limewire in 7-8 years. filled the pc with viruses back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

virus ridden junk good luck to it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Won't really be missed

What you've missed is the significance of the case. Limewire is one of the big fish. Once there's a ruling against them - it's easy to go after the little fish, threatening them with ruinous legal actions that have teeth. Since there's an existing judgement anyone brought before the courts, unless they have millions to fight the case, must cease and desist or do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to jail. The toe rags will have to go back to selling bootleg CDs at market stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

ILA wrote: »

can you send me the names of these other peer programs which are better than limewire plz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

Meh i have a dozen gigs from limewire years ago so it served its purpose i wonder how long long free music will be round for. Mp3sale.ru was another one dunno if its any more legal than limewires

Advertisement