Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats

Options
  • 29-10-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Phoned Peats in Rathmines earlier today...

Me: "Hi, do you have a pair of Q Acoustics 2020 speakers in stock?"

AIP: "Hi, yes we do, just one pair left"

Me: "What colour are they?" (They come in four different colours, I wanted black)

AIP: "They're black"

Me: "And what's the price?"

AIP: "€169"

So... they have the speakers in stock and the colour I want, great! I'll jump in my car and drive over to Rathmines find a parking space, feed the meter and get the speakers along with some speaker cable. I enter the shop in Rathmines...

Me: "I'd like to buy a set of Q Acoustics 2020 speakers please"

AIP: "I'm afraid we've none left in store except for the pair on display which aren't boxed"

Me: "I phoned you half an hour earlier and you told me you had them in stock, not a set of display speakers! What colour are the ones on display?"

AIP: "They're Graphite..."

Me: "They're graphite NOT black, I wanted black!"

AIP: "Graphite is matt black..."

:mad::( FFS! Goodbye Peats you bunch of fukking timewasters...

N.B. AIP = Arsehole in Peats
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

The only asshole in Peats that day was you.

Did it occur to you maybe they had them in boxed black and they were sold inbetween calling them and arriving at the shop?

At no point did you tell them on the phone that unboxed display models are unsuitable.

You have a point(also, the last page of this PDF) that Graphite and Black are different colours for this product, but not everyone will know that and it's an honest mistake, especially considering Gloss Black is not a standard colour for this product and has an extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭lau1247

why didn't you ask them to reserve it if you know you want it and tell them that you'll drop down to get it (i.e. today etc)??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Profanity is not tolerated in this forum in future. Please refrain from swearing in future

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Where's the consumer issue?
    Guy phones and asks what colour, is told they're black (graphite is a shade of black), guy assumes this means "gloss black" (As Q-Accoustics call it), turns up to find it's not what he expected. His mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Similar thing happened when I went to buy a Sony Vaio laptop from them. 'Yep we have one left in stock,' 'Grand if you can hold it, I'll take it'. Got there an hour later and the box was opened, asked if it was a display model and couldn't get a straight answer, asked more forcefully and he admitted it was but was unable to offer any discount on it. I just walked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    The only asshole in Peats that day was you.

Did it occur to you maybe they had them in boxed black and they were sold inbetween calling them and arriving at the shop?

At no point did you tell them on the phone that unboxed display models are unsuitable.

You have a point(also, the last page of this PDF) that Graphite and Black are different colours for this product, but not everyone will know that and it's an honest mistake, especially considering Gloss Black is not a standard colour for this product and has an extra charge.

Thank you so much for the clarity of thought in your comments. I now realise the mistake I made. Instead of assuming, given that I was quoted a price of €169, that the speakers were new and boxed I maybe should have taken a different line with them, such as...

Me: "Hi, Do you have a pair of Q Acoustic 2020 speakers in a condition that I don't want, in a colour I don't want?"

You see, at no point did I assume the only pair of Q Acoustics 2020 speakers in Gloss Black were in actual fact Graphite ex display models. I suppose it's my fault that I made an incorrect assumption based on the price I was quoted and the fact that maybe the staff of a electral retailer may actually know a little bit about their subject matter and might have actually even been honest with me.
    Jeez... no wonder our country is fukked, it's a nation of incompetent idiots...

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Where's the consumer issue?
    Guy phones and asks what colour, is told they're black (graphite is a shade of black), guy assumes this means "gloss black" (As Q-Accoustics call it), turns up to find it's not what he expected. His mistake.

The guy (me) phones up, asks for them in Black... not Graphite, not White, not Walnut... BLACK. Told on phone by guy in Peats, yes, we have them in black. Visit shop with intention to buy NEW (not ex demo, not used, not second hand) BLACK Q Acoustics 2020 speakers only to be told they're not NEW nor BLACK.
    Can you explain MY mistake please...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They made a mistake. It happens, get over it.

The guy (me) phones up, asks for them in Black... not Graphite, not White, not Walnut... BLACK. Told on phone by guy in Peats, yes, we have them in black. Visit shop with intention to buy NEW (not ex demo, not used, not second hand) BLACK Q Acoustics 2020 speakers only to be told they're not NEW nor BLACK.

I don't see where in your transcript of the phone call that you specified any colours you wanted or didn't want, you asked his what colour he had and he told you black. You assumed this meant Q-Acoustic's Gloss Black.

You also expected (reasonably I might add) that they were not a display model, but again you didn't ask, you made another assumption. If Peats informed you the speakers were in unopened packaging before you left then you would be justified in your annoyance.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I don't see where in your transcript of the phone call that you specified any colours you wanted or didn't want, you asked his what colour he had and he told you black. You assumed this meant Q-Acoustic's Gloss Black.

Yes, you're right, it's all MY fault. I should have questioned the guy in Peats more thoroughly on his knowledge of the product range, "are you sure they're black?", "are they new in a box or can you actually see the speakers?" "will I be able to get all the free to air stations on them?"... etc, etc...
    It's a good job these people aren't running the country, they may have difficulty actually finding the dail...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

looks to me like a simple mistake due to miscommunication. Just remember shop assistants are human not machines and can make honest mistakes!!

If you want a specific spec then ask for that specific spec, so yes you should have quizzed him more to verify the item he had met your exact requirements.
    Without doubt it's disappointing, but there's no point bad mouthing someone for not having the exact spec you wanted when you didn't convey your exact requirements beforehand.
    It happens, live and learn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus christ, I don't understand why the OP is getting such a hard time here ffs!

The shop is at fault, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Probably more because of his attitude rather than the actual situation.

Jesus christ, I don't understand why the OP is getting such a hard time here ffs!

The shop is at fault, end of!

Thank you MagicMarker, you clearly understand the definition of poor service. The rest of ye... no wonder the country is in the state it's in now, you'd put with anything and not complain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They are not known as the pirates for nothing... An Irish version of Craplins

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Rang Peats 2 weeks ago to see if they had a 500gb internal SATA drive in stock told they had lots, checked internet page and they were listed there. Went in and no stock.

Again today checked for External 2TB Verbatam Drive, told they were in stock.
    Got bus to parnell street again no stock.

Sorry Peats tried to support you but no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

While expensive compared to online, I've never found Peats short of excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement