Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Newbie? On a very low budget

Options
  • 28-10-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ok please don't laugh but we'd like to get a campervan for a very low budget under 7000k, ideally much less than that. We've been camping (tent) for the past 2 years and want a little bit more comfort.

I've been thrawling through donedeal and I'm baffled, there are lots of cheap vans but how do I now whats rubbish or not.

We've 2 kids 3 & 6 years so didn't really want a van with a bed over the driver cabin. Like the look of some of the iveco daily's.

Obviously seat belts is an issue for with small kids.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's plenty out there at that price, but in my experience it'll be hard to get seat belts at that price imo, unless you're happy with lap belts.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the overcab for the children - you can get safety nets specifically for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

have u never considered buying a caravan and awning loads of room when you have little ones also when you park it up you still have your car to go for a meal or sightseeing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Upsy_Daisy

Caravan is definitely out as I wouldn't be able to pull it - me and trailers of any description don't go hand in hand.:eek:

Will certainly think about the overhead cabin as it would open up more options for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

For that money you are right in the zone for a great condition late 80's early 90's VW camper with a bit of spare to kit it out with awnings and equipment. A great mechanicaly sound and nice bodywork van would be around 5k or less if either the mechanicals or bodywork are a little tired.

Lots of clubs in Ireland and a big following so you are never far from someone who is willing to offer help and advice. I have had cheap campers for years and had transits/Ivecos both self converted and factory but the VW layout is efficient and works well for young family. Oh and some models have rear 3 point seat belts or can be retrofitted easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A lot of t25's and early T4's are 3/4 rear seats though, so it becomes a bigger job to get two full 3 point belts in, and there also seems to be a lot of debate about the crash safety of rock and roll beds. There is options for T4's of swapping the seats for crash tested ones, but it ain't a cheap option. Obviously no toilet either - you're down to a porta potti, which isn't for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Do you really need a bed over the driver cabin?

Converted vans are generally cheaper, you would want to be careful with a lot of home conversions but there are some fantastic jobs done out there and not all of them are home conversions. Some of them are converted professionally plenty of them up on donedeal...

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Upsy_Daisy

thanks have been discussing with the other half and he's agreeable to an overcabin bed for the kids so that will open up our options a bit more.

Its just so confusing, should every van come with an engineers report or what is the norm.

We definitely want a toilet at least in the camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Most coachbuilds will have a toilet in them anyway. I don't believe that they must all come with engineers reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Kids love overhead beds! It's their own secret hideaway/treehouse.... It's parents who worry about safety nets and ladders - I have never seen kids fall out, nor have I ever done so and I prefer the overcab bed myself when I am out and about on my own. (herself insists on the made up bed - mainly 'cos she's claustrophobic).
    When the kids are "upstairs" reading or more likely watching a DVD/playing computer games, it frees up the rest of the place for adults to sit, talk or move about.

Actually kids love campervans (as do big kids like me.....)

Advertisement