Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Can't see it myself.
    I think the Nexus One fulfilled its role

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

I thought this was to be a HTC product.

Until i saw otherwise.

Yeah, Nexus in name. The actual product, we'll see.

The Galaxy S was good, but some room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meanwhile the Galaxy S is stuck on 2.1 despite promises of Froyo in September. I think it'll be the first and last Samsung phone I buy, if I have to rely on them for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Meanwhile the Galaxy S is stuck on 2.1 despite promises of Froyo in September.

But being a 'Nexus' / Google phone, there won't be any proprietary UI crap that needs updated before the updates are rolled out, regardless of which manufacturer puts it together.

Really like the Nexus One anyway. I bought the Desire and slightly regret not getting a Nexus instead. Very similar specs but the Nexus just looks and feels better. Little more rounded. Also easily hackable and ships with vanilla Android, which I've grown to prefer over the HTC Sense.

A switch to Samsung seems odd to me. Would have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Goodshape wrote: »
    A switch to Samsung seems odd to me. Would have to wait and see.

I have to disagree, Vanilla Android + Google support + Samsung Hardware is a win-win situation for the end-user certainly.

There is certainly a new samsung phone release (news at least) planned on 08-Nov-2010, but whether its gonna be Nexus 2 is just a rumour at this stage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yeah, could be. I've just never used a Samsung phone so would have to wait and see. If it were another HTC I'd already be willing to bet on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well i would understand the choice. Slightly better screen and better GPU

Though HTC still has a better processor and build quality in general.

The only reason the Galaxy ever took off was because there was no Desires left

As long as it wouldn't posses the shape of an iPhone and only stock vanilla id be considering one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You're doing Samsung a massive disservice there, you don't just sell over 5 million devices owing to another companies supply failures. I'd never choose an Desire over the SGS, even the HD and Z still have me considering it. The prospect of samsung hardware and stock gingerbread has me keeping my money in my pocket till the 8th of next month.

another companies supply failures

Yes which was stupid of HTC and ****ing horrible of Samsung to cut of HTC's amoled supply :)

Ah now saying that even on boards.ie how many people have been sitting around for months waiting for a desire? They got pissed of and got a galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ha, welcome to consumerism.
    I really like my SGS, I barely considered the Desire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Well i would understand the choice. Slightly better screen and better GPU

Though HTC still has a better processor and build quality in general.

Well the bigger screen might have been some enticement. IIRC, The Galaxy was also quite a bit cheaper than the Desire on contract (?)

Maybe Samsung could really push the boat out this time and spring for a flash on the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The Samsung marketing is 10th times better also, would influence many I'd say

Baza210 wrote: »

:( i want something new...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

:( i want something new...

Same here. With the change to stock android I thought Samsung might just create something great but it just feels very underwhelming. A slightly remodeled Galaxy just isn't going to cut it. Needed to be a whole new design with new features for a supposed reboot of a flagship device.

The Samsung marketing is 10th times better also, would influence many I'd say

What Samsung marketing? Reason why nexus one was such a success is cause of htc and the developers base it had behind HTC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What Samsung marketing? Reason why nexus one was such a success is cause of htc and the developers base it had behind HTC

The nexus one sales were anything but a success. Everyone was shocked at how little they sold despite the large amount of press.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The nexus one sales were anything but a success. Everyone was shocked at how little they sold despite the large amount of press.

This is more to do with the fact that most people baulk at paying 500 quid for a phone upfront, and prefer to pay over 2 years by getting it subsidised up front by the network operator.

The Nexus One was also pretty much a spec leader at launch. The Nexus 2 seems to be nothing but a rebadged Galaxy S, and instead of being in front of the hardware curve, is coming in in last place.

I personally am incredibly disappointed if this is indeed the Nexus 2, as it would seem the Desire HD is probably a better phone, and the only benefit to buying the Nexus 2 would be the guaranteed Google updates, which in this case are outweighed by the HD's general superiority.

Anyone with an original Desire or a Galaxy S would be frankly crazy to pay any money at all to get their mitts on the Nexus 2, if it turns out as leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

If this Orion processor is at the heart of the rumoured N2, coupling it with Android Gingerbread + Google Experience wouldn't be too shabby at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any airport I have been in for the last few months had a Galaxy S billboard, any bus stop / magazine advertising etc

I've never seen a HTC ad anywhere, and I would look out for them as I have a HTC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bluefoam wrote: »

Hardly surprising really, the N2 will only ever exist if Google feel the need to push smart phones forward again or get an advanced version of Android out into the public on their own branded handset.

Advertisement