Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les 3 Vallées

Options
  • 28-10-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at booking a week here end of Feb, early Mar. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?
    I've been to Austria the past few years. So I'm looking for a change and was recommended the three valleys.

Liking the idea of having such a large skiing area. Looking mostly at accommodation in Val Thorens but wondering should I be looking at one of the other resorts?

There will be a mix of snowboarders/skiers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

it will be a change from austria, in terms of the nightlife. apres ski between the two countries is like chalk and cheese. having said that the 3v is not completely lacking bars and discos etc, and if you are in a group youll be grand.

vt is the highest but is at one side of the 3v. therefore it is a day trip to get all the way over to courchevel, via meribel. not too difficult but if you stay in meribel you can your pick of what you want to do. alos if you buy a 3v pass you feel you kind of waste it by not using it all the time.
    courchevel has a few towns at differing elevations (1300-1800), more expensive as you go up. alot of weatlh here.
    afair meribel has a bigger kind of town @ 1400 which is the best place and then another spot at 1750 (meribel mottaret). loads of english in meribel and some good bars.
    only skiied on day trips in val t so dont know about accom.

meribel can get quite crowded at times and the pistes suffer accordingly. courchevel pistes are far better kept and val thorens can get quite exposed esp on glacier, however snow quality is good up there.

3 v is massive and class and will suit boarders and skiiers alike. off piste endless.
    one of the best resorts. to summarise...all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

good runs in meribel so even though its probably the weakest of the three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks for the feedback rjp123.

Being a snowboarder, the endless off piste sounds great. Not too worried about night life. Going with a group so I'm sure we can get up to some mischief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Meribel is good, just don't make the mistake we made and stay in Bride le Ban or whatever it's called. 30min gondola just to get to the bottom of the main piste. Anywho, if you're fairly good at boarding or skiing then get a 3 valley pass. If you only have a few weeks boarding behind you, 1 valley is enough.

Nightlife in Meribel is alright, but it's never that great in a ski resort compared to the Algarve obviously, but does the job all the same. Alot of native english speaking people working in Meribel too.

It's a great place to ski, as said by someone else, can be expensive the higher you go, but if you have the money then it's worth staying close to the piste.

Advertisement