Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Brands.Which one to choose?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Looking to buy my first NEW (2010) car. I was looking at a city run-around, i have a fair amount to play with, so if you could help me out what would you go with in my situation?

order of preference? 30 votes

Audi
    0%
    Mini
    36%
    shinobiFGRrebel.ranterGERMAN ROCKSTomebagelMidnight_EGSgt. Bilko 09daltonj7Ardennes1944hrccimprint 11 votes
    BMW
    10%
    FGRrebel.ranterSgt. Bilko 09 3 votes
    VW
    53%
    FGRPlugDazzyJoeySullyrebel.ranterSVStevie DakotaShane732JarrenMax Power1dekbhoyrustynutzbrennarrSgt. Bilko 09Japershogunpower 16 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Clios are really good value at the moment and pretty reliable despite what many say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Need more details. Diesel/Petrol? Manual/Auto? Saloon/Hatch? Small/Medium? Budget?In the absence of all that information, I'd go with a new Ford Focus or Fiesta. None of the brands above are reliable enough to be worth buying brand new. Audi and VW are exactly the same cars, you'd be a chump to pay a premium for a Polo or Golf (A1 or A3).

If it's just a runaround I'd buy Asian, Ford or Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

VW polo, great first car, avoid the others, they're overpriced and not really the best cars to learn in (get something wrong and it can be expensive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imprint

Mini
    im thinking more along the lines of what brand i should go with at the moment before i think of models. trying to look at what brand to trust for my first new car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

imprint wrote: »
    im thinking more along the lines of what brand i should go with at the moment before i think of models. trying to look at what brand to trust for my first new car!!!

The brands you mentioned above have generally poor reliability in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Why!? A brand doesn't automatically mean a car that fits your requirements, looking at models makes much more sense.

And anyway from the brands in your poll, Audi and VW are both from the VAG stable so are practically the same and BMW own Mini! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Surely you should look at the options which suit your needs rather than a marque?

City run around could be:
    Ford Ka
    Fiat 500
    Toyota Aygo

And a little bigger:
    SEAT Ibiza
    VW Polo
    Skoda Fabia
    Citroen DS3
    Ford Fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd go for the new Polo myself as well. Good looking little car. In saying that, there are a few lookers out there amongst the new hatches (Megane coupe being one).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Mini
    grande punto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imprint

Mini
    yeah i kno what your sayin, dont want to end up with a birds car though..... saw the Audi a1 the new one and i liked the look, surely audi are reliable in the long run? would have thought they would have been the safest as well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I reckon a honda would you to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How long will you keep it for? This is critical.

In reality, a new supermini is a riduculously common sight in this country. I'd buy a reasonably priced 3 year old family hatch. They are FAR better value than all the heavily taxed, expensive superminis even if you can't have that new car smell.

My advice is that while you live in this country, you need a minimum Golf/ Focus sized car. I know a woman who thinks she needs a Ka because she works/ parks in the city. The 20 mile commute to the city means nothing to her:rolleyes:

PS- I didn't vote cos the poll won't help you to teh correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You might consider the Hyundai i30. 7 year warranty and a lovely car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

City run about or occasional jaunts ...... I would buy the Skoda Fabia ..... petrol or diesel as suits .... my own preference would be for diesel ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

City run about or occasional jaunts ...... I would buy the Skoda Fabia ..... petrol or diesel as suits .... my own preference would be for diesel ...

Don't use a diesel as a city car, even with the occasional jaunt, if you're not opening them up regularly you'll have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

grande punto!

Alfa MiTo :)

Or Opel Corsa/Grande Punto. All 3 are the same underneath.

Fiat 500 would by my choice for pure "city" car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Gotta say, I absolutely LOVE my VW Polo - cracking wee car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Gotta say, I absolutely LOVE my VW Polo - cracking wee car.

I've just handed back the keys to one after having it as a rental for a week.

Nice car, easy to drive and never gave any trouble as regards handling/speed.........as they say the fastest car is a rental ;)

However what i would say is avoid the 1.2l engine and get something bigger with a good spec. All the car you will need in a great package but get a stronger engine

grande punto

The new EVO is a nice car from what I've seen.

On top of that if it goes wrong (all of those German brands will go wrong and more so than the Punto) it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to fix.

You could even afford a Punto Essesse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

We have a big obsession in this country with german cars. I was on holidays recently and all i seen was french cars (and it wasn't france) and they looked great but i suppose everything does in the sun.

I think you could look at Peugeot's, Citroens, Fords too, I really like the ford focus's, i wouldn't rule out mazda either.

But when all's said and done if i had the money now i'd be getting a 2010 VW Golf.

• Advertisement

sollar wrote: »
    But when all's said and done if i had the money now i'd be getting a 2010 VW Golf.

I really would urge people to consider a higher spec Polo over the Golf having had one for a week.

I was very impressed with it and unless you really need more space I think with a bigger engine it would be a great car. Its not small either......but then again most small cars aren't nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The Alfa Mito or the VW polo (wasnt that european car of the year?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

dont want to end up with a birds car though

That's the Suzuki Swift ruled out, then.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I was very impressed with it and unless you really need more space I think with a bigger engine it would be a great car.

They don't do a bigger petrol, do they?

I think it's just the 1.2 with a turbo.

They don't do a bigger petrol, do they?

I think it's just the 1.2 with a turbo.

The one I had was just a base 1.2l with no TURDO fitted.

If its not a 3 cylinder I'd imagine it would be fine but ideally I'd prefer it with the 1.4tsi engine. It would certainly be a great car then.

The 3 cylinder is gutless and unrefined and it let the car down as the rest of the package was there if a little bland

But as everyone knows all they need to supply Ireland with is a baseline model

EDIT: Just checked the VW website, Ireland gets a 1.2l TSI (4 cylinder) as its biggest petrol engine while the UK gets a 1.4l and a 1.4l TSI. The car is nice but needs more power than a boggo spec 1.2l 3 cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you plan to change car again after warranty period, well vw will stand you reasonable well in terms of holding its value.
    If you plan to keep the car outside warranty, I would avoid all of the above. A better option would maybe be a ford focus or fiesta. Less possibility of an expensive repair IMO.

mickdw wrote: »
    If you plan to keep the car outside warranty, I would avoid all of the above.

Is there something horrible I haven't heard about Minis reliability? I've an 06 Cooper, and I don't see the issue: no turbos, DMFs, DPFs or other obvious weak points.

I know some earlier ones had a weak gearbox, but that's sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Honda

positron wrote: »
    Honda

Bless you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement