Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something of a revelation with Dynamic Mics

Options
  • 28-10-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Been doing sessions lately where I used an EV RE20 on the vocals, and a Beyerdynamic M201 too. Recorded acoustic guitar and also banjo with an XY pair of Beyerdynamic M201. Far better sounds than stuff like the Neumann KM184 (which I hate the sound of), Audio Technica 4033, AKG C414 BULS and AKG C414 XL2. And better than a pair of Audix ADX51 too (although I did favour those on one of the guitars, a newish Martin).

Particularly with the banjo, it sounded much closer to the actual tone of the instrument than any of the condensers I had to hand. The vocals sounded much more expensive with the dynamic mics. That RE20 is lovely!

Anyone else using dynamic mics a lot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Definitely on a big dynamic buzz at the moment. Using an Audix i5 on pretty much everything and it hasn't let me down yet. Looking to get a Senny MD421 soon, then maybe an RE20 or Sm7b. Top quality dynamics seem to be much more versatile than their capacitor couterparts for what I'm doing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

421 is luvverly. Been disappointed with the i5 so far- toms, snare and guitar cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I've quite liked it so far on guitar, snare and vocals. Really shone on vocals. Guitar was good too, took a bit of positioning but it got there in the end. Haven't tried it on toms as of yet though.

Can't wait for the 421, been on my list a long time at this stage. Christmas is coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

I use a senn 441 a lot. Great tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Robin Ball

SM7B....The king of dynamics. Get one.... now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Robin Ball wrote: »
    RE20....The king of dynamics. Get one.... now.
    Fixed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

Sm7b Fan boy here that mics slays on hats, male rock vocals, guitars, bass cab

Advertisement