Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Display Help

Options
  • 28-10-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I'm about to buy a Mac Mini and was wondering which display port i should use to hook it up to my tv? Mni DVI or Mini Display Port? Can get HDMI adaptors for both on apple store

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The new MacMini comes with a HDMI port thus it needs no adapter to connect to other HDMI devices. See graphic at the bottom of this page - http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTQzMDMxODY

(It comes with a HDMI-DVI adapter to connect to DVI displays)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

mathepac wrote: »
    The new MacMini comes with a HDMI port thus it needs no adapter to connect to other HDMI devices. See graphic at the bottom of this page - http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTQzMDMxODY

(It comes with a HDMI-DVI adapter to connect to DVI displays)

Its the previous generation i'm getting, has no HDMI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Im using a minidvi to vga at the minute, working fine for me the last few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

do any mac laptops have a HDMI port? I would love one but to be honest mac's just always seem to be behind the times when it comes to processors, hard drives, ram and interfaces etc. And then there's the price of them, which in some cases are extortion.

2 years ago I got a Sony Vaio for around 1100 with 4gb ram, 2.4ghz, 400gig HD and a HDMI output, most links on here for macbooks don't even compare to them specs, makes me wonder if I should ever change? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

sonic.trip wrote: »
    do any mac laptops have a HDMI port?

Nope, none of them do - the Mac Mini is the only current Mac that has an actual HDMI port. AFAIK, the Displayport on the newer unibody MBPs does support audio through the Displayport/HDMI adapter though so once you have it, it's still just one cable to the TV.

As for comparing specs between PCs and Macs, it's never that straightforward. A huge selling point for Macs is how well the operating system integrates with the hardware itself, not only raw specs. As to if you should change from Windows to a Mac, I'd say most people here are pretty biased (me included :P) but I got my first Mac about 4 years ago (a Mini) and have never looked back (in fact, having to use Windows at work is a nuisance mostly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

[QUOTE=
    2 years ago I got a Sony Vaio for around 1100 with 4gb ram, 2.4ghz, 400gig HD and a HDMI output, most links on here for macbooks don't even compare to them specs, makes me wonder if I should ever change? :confused:[/QUOTE]

On paper those specs look pretty good! One big disadvantage though, that kind of hardware won't natively run Mac OS. And some of us just stubbornly and resolutely refuse to 'do windows'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not that we don't do Windows, it's that Windows doesn't do us. But kudos to Microsoft all the same for finally making a useable operating system with Windows 7 after 30 years or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

sonic.trip wrote: »
    do any mac laptops have a HDMI port? I would love one but to be honest mac's just always seem to be behind the times when it comes to processors, hard drives, ram and interfaces etc. And then there's the price of them, which in some cases are extortion.

2 years ago I got a Sony Vaio for around 1100 with 4gb ram, 2.4ghz, 400gig HD and a HDMI output, most links on here for macbooks don't even compare to them specs, makes me wonder if I should ever change? :confused:
    there would be a huge difference in ram usage with os x than windows, my laptop i had, struggled with 2gb ram, my mac flies with 2gb.

Advertisement