Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation, To Buy or Not to Buy

Options
  • 28-10-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help provide some information on Home Automation entertainment systems??
    Is it Worth getting??
    Is it Difficult to use??
    How Good is it??
    and most importantly is it exspensive??

Any information will be a great help!!

Thanks.

If you have Home Automation are you glad you got it 1 vote

Yes, couldn't live without it
    0%
    No, its hard to use.
    100%
    torrestorres 1 vote
    Yes, but it was very exspensive for what i got
    0%
    No, to exspensive to set up
    0%

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

No, its hard to use.
    All depends on what you are after Murray, there are loads of different systems that offer different things, i'm in the process of doing my own install at the moment.

Some system will give you full home automation to control Heat/Light/Video/Audio/Intercom/Door Bell/Security cameras all at the touch of a button, but be warned it doesn't come cheap.

Also depend on what way your home is wired you might not be able to do some of the above, is this a new build? or existing home?

I have asked all the questions i know your gonna ask, so i'll tell you my experience if you want guys to post helpful comments as they are a very helpfull bunch around here.

1. find out what wiring your home is set up for.
    2. find out what are your requirements multiroom audio/video, CCTV, Heat/light control
    3. I know you are going to want to keep it as cheap as possible in these hard times but think of a figure you are willing to spend so members will have an idea of what is in your price range.
    4. How many Zones (rooms) do you want to set up?
    5. Remember that this is not gonna be cheap!!! for an install of basis audio/video it could set you back €5,000.00 installed but its something that is great for all the family to enjoy.

I researched for a few months before deciding what system worked for me best and went for a Russound cav6.6 system in the end, i bought a demo/used model from a Dealer in the USA for around €800 euro inc P&P, the russound cav6.6 worked for me as all i wanted was to distribute Audio and Video to 6 zones. The CAV6.6 allows me to connect 6 sources(DVD, SKY, MUSIC, XBOX, Media Player, etc) all under the stairs where the wiring is centralized and send to each Zone (room), which can then be controlled by Keypads in the wall or by remote control (IR through the keypad).
    So if im in any zone (room) i can press the source button on the keypad and the TV/Ceiling speakers will play whatever that source (Music or Sky sat)

I'm still in the progress of setting my system up properly but i have a DVD and Audio player playing from it at the moment and its cool piece of equipment.

I was lucky that my home was pre-wired when i bought it so all i needed was a system and try a self install myself, its been tricky but it will save me a fair few quid when its completed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

PM sent to A_murray_jnr.

I'm locking this thread pending a response.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement