Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Office 2011 for Mac is here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Is there a free trial??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

Have been using it for the last 2 days (since launch) ..... pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Is there a free trial??

I don't think so - it usually takes them a few months to release one. I've been using it, however, and it is definitely an improvement on 2008. It is also better IMHO than Windows Office 2010, although obviously you don't have all the additional programs available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Westie123

It looks like the student edition has no e-mail client! If you don't want a web based client you have to buy the full business edition or buy outlook separately.

http://mcpmag.com/articles/2010/08/02/office-for-mac-2011-to-arrive-in-late-october.aspx

It won't be on my shopping list anyway :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Outlook has been missing from the Home and Student versions of Office for at least the last couple of versions on Windows, no surprise its the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I've been using it for the past month!:P Test driver ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Got it last night, haven't really had a good workout on it yet but so far it seems better than Office 2007 (which I was using on a Windows laptop up until yesterday).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alien65

It's sad but the soft is ONLY for Intel MACs - not for my PowerPC - G5 :(
    But OpenOffice.org now is working very nice and is perfect :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Bought it the other day in the apple store, seems to be working great. I was still using office 2004 so its a big leap from that, much more like the windows version. Hopefully it works out well, but definitely liking it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

For people who apparently don't like Microsoft as a company, it's userbase sure isn't afraid of handing down cash for Office:p Man up and learn LaTeX, then you won't have to bend over each time Microsoft decides to "improve" office(i.e break OO compatability).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I used to use LaTeX but life's too short to be spent typing loads of code, it would be different if I had more equations to put into text documents but I don't. Plus Office isn't just about Word, LaTeX hardly can replace PowerPoint or Excel. To be honest, I've never found a program that is as good as Excel for data management. Mathematica or a dedicated stats package do certain aspects of Excel better but overall for day to day working with data sets, Excel can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

Finally, a micro$oft exchange Mac client that works ( Outlook 2011 )!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

John wrote: »
    I used to use LaTeX but life's too short to be spent typing loads of code, it would be different if I had more equations to put into text documents but I don't. Plus Office isn't just about Word, LaTeX hardly can replace PowerPoint or Excel. To be honest, I've never found a program that is as good as Excel for data management. Mathematica or a dedicated stats package do certain aspects of Excel better but overall for day to day working with data sets, Excel can't be beat.

Sound points I guess. The way I look at it, use the right tool for the right job. LaTeX is great for papers(especially maths papers) but it's not a drop in replacement for Excel. True that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Naikon wrote: »
    For people who apparently don't like Microsoft as a company, it's userbase sure isn't afraid of handing down cash for Office:p Man up and learn LaTeX, then you won't have to bend over each time Microsoft decides to "improve" office(i.e break OO compatability).

its generally windows that mac people dont like not necessarily microsoft, xbox for example is great, it still dosnt make windows great.

iv been using neooffice but got this today and am delighted it looks great, havnt done anything heavy on it yet but with the ole thesis coming up i have a feeling this is going to make it way easier than neooffice would have

Advertisement