Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build estate=bare garden=no birds

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just moved into an new estate that is a concrete jungle except for a small backgarden which is surrounded by a 6ft wall.
    It just has grass except for the borders where I have planted some young plants so no cover really for birds yet.Will be putting in espalier fruit trees but not till spring so walls are bare.
    Any chance/way I could attract birds into garden cheaply?
    I really miss birdsong and am feeling guily about the birds I used to feed for the last few years that won't have any supply this year.
    Tks
    Pinc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You could make your own fat balls with melted fat and scraps of bread, oatmeal, grated cheese etc. I also put out bits of leftover fruit sometimes. There's a good factsheet on the birdwatchireland website http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Advice/Factsheets/tabid/386/Default.aspx
    Last winter I was getting quite a few thrushes, blackbirds and even some redwing to my garden as well as the smaller birds that came to the feeders.
    The Christmas turkey fat and leftover breadcrumbs etc were a huge hit at a very difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Maybe just get one of those metal 'tree' feeders from b&q or somewhere?
    Just stick it in your patch of grass at the back and hang feeders from it - it'll feed the birds this winter and better than nothing.

I got one last year for €25 from b&q.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Hi OP,

Im in the same position OP. I'm renting in a fairly new house and the back garden is really bare (just grass and a bare grey brick wall). The landlord wont let me plant anything. My mother has a wonderful garden that was full of birds no matter the weather and I missed the birds too when I moved out.

Just a few weeks ago I bought a bird feeder (the tall black metal ones with hooks) and popped it in the middle of the lawn. I put out nyjer seed, peanuts and seed mix. Since then I've had plenty of visitors; greenfinch, blue tits, robins, chaffinches and goldfinches. I have a wood pigeon that spends all day under the feeder collecting whatever has been spilled. It did take a few days for them to notice it, but now that they know there is food, they keep returning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    The landlord wont let me plant anything.
    just to satisfy my own curiosity, but has he given a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

just to satisfy my own curiosity, but has he given a reason?

Coz he's a meanie.....

Nah, he's a great landlord. I asked him when I moved in if I could stick in a few bedding plants, climbers for the wall, maybe a raised bed for Veggies and Herbs, he didn't want the garden dug up and have the next tenants have no interest and dont want to maintain it. Gardening isn't everybody's cup of tea unfortunately. I'm free to grow things in containers tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

The best thing to have in garden for wildlife in general (including birds) is pond. Even a small pond is great. It's a great sight to see birds drinking from the pond or having a bath:D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The best thing to have in garden for wildlife in general (including birds) is pond. Even a small pond is great. It's a great sight to see birds drinking from the pond or having a bath:D.

Even a simple birdbath will attract visitors if you can't manage a pond. I have an old metal dustbin lid sitting upside down on 3 bricks. It is continuously in use by everything from wrens to wood pigeons. I have to empty it out and refill with fresh water every day. Place it in the open where cats can't ambush birds using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The birds need somewhere to perch safely on as well. I've just put up two garden arches in my very bare garden, in fact the setting sounds very similar to yours. Now they've somewhere to perch they're much happier coming into the

Also a new bird feeder from Aldi.

I've now got at least 12 birds (mainly gold finches) at any one time.

Make sure to have plenty of water as well. A bird bath will ensure a very plentiful supply of visitors.

Advertisement