Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire Random Crashes

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

over the past week my 3 month old htc desire from meteor has started to turn itself off randomly

over the weekend it turned itself off twice during two seperate phone calls

and now all this week ill take the phone out of my pocket to find it has turned itself off

it also put itself into a bit of a reboot cycle over the weekend but hasnt happened since, it just will turn off itself daily

ive gotten rid of most of my apps including task manager killer, and it crashed again there when i got home for work, took it out of my pocket and it was turned off...

anyone got any advice? i assume if i take it into a meteor shop they will just sent it off to htc, am i better off sending it to htc direct myself

i am always hesitant about sending away gadgets to be fixed, they nearly always come back with another fault....

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Try doing a factory reset. Maybe something you installed or did didn't go as planned and causes a bug in the system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

how would i go about backing up my contacts

search the marketplace for "My Backup Pro" Free. just make sure to save the recovery file on the sd card. Once you have done that just hard reset and find the same application on marketplace and recover them.

Do you not get a PC sync suite to back up all of this? Im sure ive heard of one for the Desire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Funny you should say that, mine came back from HTC with no GPS after having the auto focus repaired. Can't be without it for another three weeks for this repair...

what do you mean by no gps?

• Advertisement

Believe me, I have tried every possible software test and/or fix - it simply can't find any satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Chances are you need to have the Mainboard replaced. Happened me with my desire and i sent it back to them. There is a huge thread on xda developers forum about the problem. Try searching there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Hogzy wrote: »
    Chances are you need to have the Mainboard replaced. Happened me with my desire and i sent it back to them. There is a huge thread on xda developers forum about the problem. Try searching there
    That was my first guess too. Sounds like the main board is going kaput.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Believe me, I have tried every possible software test and/or fix - it simply can't find any satellites.

jeez your an unlucky one :) you've got problems with your phone since you got it :)

mines been trashed around and still perfect :confused:

rang up HTC today to book it in for repair

was informed UPS do not do collections for the phone in the Rep.Ire, only in the UK they have a contract for it, and i would have to cover the costs of returning an in warranty, manufacturer faulty phone...

wasnt happy with that so ive sent in a complaint which has been escalated

ridiculous that us irish would have to fork out to have it sent back to them for repair, it might just cost 10 or 15 euros but its a matter of principle to me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Try stepping outside your cave :pac:

PS. In all seriousness that sucks, my Desire, touch wood, has been flawless since I bought it getting on for 6mths back.

BArra wrote: »

was informed UPS do not do collections for the phone in the Rep.Ire, only in the UK they have a contract for it, and i would have to cover the costs of returning an in warranty, manufacturer faulty phone...

ridiculous that us irish would have to fork out to have it sent back to them for repair, it might just cost 10 or 15 euros but its a matter of principle to me now

Let me know how you get on with that, I still have an open repair ticket.

will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

i sent mine off yesterday to HTC, sent it throught anpost for €7.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072583

sorry to hear about your desire

but i am taking issue with us irish customers having to pay for the return of the phone to htc, it goes against their own terms and conditions

im digging my feet in now, all too often we buy expensive goods and they break outside of the measly 12 month warranty and we are left to foot the bill to replace

check out the small claims court thread on the ps3 forum.. its inspired me to in the future not take crap

my phone is in warranty and i should be no differant to a uk customer who gets it collected and returned for free by UPS

and not have to pay more money to get a phone to work, when it should anaway

allen175 wrote: »
    i sent mine off yesterday to HTC, sent it throught anpost for €7.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056072583

How much is it insured for? I went with GLS, which was around 14 and insured for 500.

sorry to hear about your desire

but i am taking issue with us irish customers having to pay for the return of the phone to htc, it goes against their own terms and conditions

im digging my feet in now, all too often we buy expensive goods and they break outside of the measly 12 month warranty and we are left to foot the bill to replace

check out the small claims court thread on the ps3 forum.. its inspired me to in the future not take crap

my phone is in warranty and i should be no differant to a uk customer who gets it collected and returned for free by UPS

and not have to pay more money to get a phone to work, when it should anaway

Good for you. In my case 6 weeks of repairs in the first 6 months isn't acceptable. I did ask about a replacement but it fell on deaf ears.

How much is it insured for? I went with GLS, which was around 14 and insured for 500.

never thought of GLS, an post's max is €320, doubt it will get lost, but if it does i will be kicking myself!

and apparently my phone has a 24 month warranty, email said that it is under warranty till june 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

over the past week my 3 month old htc desire from meteor has started to turn itself off randomly

over the weekend it turned itself off twice during two seperate phone calls

and now all this week ill take the phone out of my pocket to find it has turned itself off

it also put itself into a bit of a reboot cycle over the weekend but hasnt happened since, it just will turn off itself daily

ive gotten rid of most of my apps including task manager killer, and it crashed again there when i got home for work, took it out of my pocket and it was turned off...

anyone got any advice? i assume if i take it into a meteor shop they will just sent it off to htc, am i better off sending it to htc direct myself

i am always hesitant about sending away gadgets to be fixed, they nearly always come back with another fault....

:mad:

Hi,

sorry to hear you're suffering this problem. it sounds quite similar to what is happening my desire HD: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68766775&postcount=48

Though, is it definitely turning completely off or is it just the screen? Because when it first started happening my phone I thought it had turned itself off.... until it received a text message!! (screen still black at the time of course...:mad:)

Are you able to sort it by turning it back on? i.e. does holding the power button actually work or do you've to take out the battery flap, which I have to do.

no it def crashes and turns off

as when i then press the power button it starts to boot up

usually it will turn back on, but sometimes after i input my pin number, a few seconds later it will crash and turn off, and this will cycle crash like this for a while until eventually turning on and staying on

• Advertisement

Barra, where did you get the phone from, just go to the shop where you bought it and get them to send it away for you.

allen175 wrote: »
    Barra, where did you get the phone from, just go to the shop where you bought it and get them to send it away for you.

That adds another week.

and you dont know how meteor would handle your phone :rolleyes:

Advertisement