Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Shopping Parking

Options
  • 27-10-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I'm being moved to a shop in Dundrum shopping centre.

Has anyone any ideas of where to park? I know there is staff parking but apparently there are only 40 places so unless I was there mad early there wont be a hope in hell

Any suggestions for Luas park and ride, are there places which can be possible to park the car and get the Luas up

Cheers

The Bin Man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Anytime i've been there there has been enormous vacancies in the car parks.

Edit: sorry what i meant so say was there may be some staff parking scheme where you get free parking in the customer car park perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I worked in the town center for over 3 years and would advise maybe finding some space in a housing estate as all the people i worked with did. The car park is crazy around christmas so even if you have a staff car space it could take ages trying to get into the carpark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Balally Luas park-and-ride is 2 minutes walk away - €4 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

thanks all

if you know of any estates in the area where I could park the car it'll be very much appreciated

Might take a spin out Monday and see what the craic is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

Balally Luas park-and-ride is 2 minutes walk away - €4 per day.

You get a 40 euro fine if you park there and dont use the Luas..
    I use that carpark everyday and regularly there does be someone checking on the way out if you have a ticket or not..

And forget trying to find a space in there after 9am.. its ALWAYS full Monday to Friday

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    I use that carpark everyday and regularly there does be someone checking on the way out if you have a ticket or not..

And forget trying to find a space in there after 9am.. its ALWAYS full Monday to Friday

I rarely use the carpark on weekdays, but I've used it at weekends, and I've never heard of this rule. There is no mention of it on the Luas website http://www.luas.ie/balally-car-park.html

I can't see how it would be enforceable. If you refuse to pay, is a court going to enforce this, when there is no clear indication for users. If you show a Luas Smart Card, do they have card readers to check whether the card has been used recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I rarely use the carpark on weekdays, but I've used it at weekends, and I've never heard of this rule. There is no mention of it on the Luas website http://www.luas.ie/balally-car-park.html

I can't see how it would be enforceable. If you refuse to pay, is a court going to enforce this, when there is no clear indication for users. If you show a Luas Smart Card, do they have card readers to check whether the card has been used recently?

http://www.luas.ie/park-and-ride/

You seem so sure :confused:
    You must have a valid Luas ticket on the day you park. An additional charge will occur if you do not have a valid Luas ticket when you leave the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

there is signs go the car park the same size as other notices in car parks.

juke wrote: »

Missed that - as it isn't mentioned on the Balally page. Do they have smart card readers at the exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

thanks all

if you know of any estates in the area where I could park the car it'll be very much appreciated

Might take a spin out Monday and see what the craic is

Just be careful, lots of estates around Dundrum have become very aggressive towards parkers obviously using the shopping centre and vandalism is quite known in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LolNoob

Just be careful, lots of estates around Dundrum have become very aggressive towards parkers obviously using the shopping centre and vandalism is quite known in the area.
    Yep, lots of tyres being slashed, window wipers snapped off etc etc in the surrounding estates.

There's a pub about 10 minutes walk down windy arbour (from dundrum) that is doing all day parking for e5. Probably the best option.

Just some background to my warning,

I used to park in Knocknasheena I think its called (little estate with ramps between Stillorgan and Dundrum) and walked up to Dundrum for work every morning. About a week in I noticed someone walked out of his house and was following me from when I got out of my car. It was a man in his mid 50s maybe. He was about 20 yards behind me but he gave me a really irky feeling so I stopped walking on the road just outside his and he overtook me.

10 paces later he stops and turns around, back to his house I presume. I shrugged it off at the time as something just really weird. That night I return to my car from work with a sticker on my car saying "Knocknasheena is not a car park, this is the only warning we'll give you"....

Next morning I stickered his house with "my car is not a noticeboard" but never parked there again or any nearby estate, as I've heard some horror stories of scratched paintwork, slashed tires, broken wingmirrors, acid poured on the bonnet, some in the estate I parked in and some from other nearby estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if your employer is moving you there insist they provide parking for you in compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Many people's contracts of employment (particularly in retail chains) allow the employer to move them from one location to another without compensation.

It's a fact of life in that industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Heya, been working in Dundrum for four years, the 40 staff spaces offer is finished afaik. There's very limited parking in the carpark across from winters for €5/day, but those are gone by 8.30. When im being lazy and drive over, I park in estates or the luas stop. The luas stop is usually full by 9am, and they do seem to be monitoring it a lot more. My car, and colleagues cars, have been keyed in the estates, and the locals have verbally attacked some younger girls I know.
    My advice is tp get a bike or get the luas if at all possible, as others have said, the traffic's gonna be crazy there in the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Heya, been working in Dundrum for four years, the 40 staff spaces offer is finished afaik. There's very limited parking in the carpark across from winters for €5/day, but those are gone by 8.30. When im being lazy and drive over, I park in estates or the luas stop. The luas stop is usually full by 9am, and they do seem to be monitoring it a lot more. My car, and colleagues cars, have been keyed in the estates, and the locals have verbally attacked some younger girls I know.
    My advice is tp get a bike or get the luas if at all possible, as others have said, the traffic's gonna be crazy there in the next few weeks!

What the hell is the residents problem. Would they not just make the area permit parking. I can park wherever the hell I want when I pay my road tax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

cronin_j wrote: »

It's true, though a friend who works beside it gets away with either:
    "I have a space in the designated spaces" - a few companies have them, find out which
    or
    "I threw out my ticket already"

irishguy wrote: »
    What the hell is the residents problem. Would they not just make the area permit parking. I can park wherever the hell I want when I pay my road tax.

They get it away with it because they're anonymous to an extent. Loads of estates do it now as they have delusions that their roads are private and they have a right to park there over anyone else.

Tossers.

They get it away with it because they're anonymous to an extent. Loads of estates do it now as they have delusions that their roads are private and they have a right to park there over anyone else.
    While technically correct, I can understand the residents concern. No-one minds occasional parking, but when your residential estate is turned into a park-and-ride facility, with commuters turning cars, reversing in areas not designed as car parks, blocking driveways and basically turning a residential area into a car park, I'm not surprised that action is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

10 paces later he stops and turns around, back to his house I presume. I shrugged it off at the time as something just really weird. That night I return to my car from work with a sticker on my car saying "Knocknasheena is not a car park, this is the only warning we'll give you"....

It is treated as a car park by the residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Hi, im going to contribute to this thread as a resident in one of the neighbouring estates to Dundrum Shopping Centre.

The estate has not been mentioned here yet but it is constantly used by people working in dundrum shopping centre.I am fairly confident that the cars parked in our estate are never damaged in any way and the residents are not hostile to people who use the street as a parking facility. we have asked the council to put yellow lines or a parking permit system in the estate but this obviously takes time.(we have succeeded in getting the road leading to our estate getting double yellow lines however). The reason it is vey frustrating to have cars parked in the estate all the time is the danger that it causes. there are children in the estate and parked cars cause an obstruction when they are looking to cross a road. also, the cars are parked so far up the road on both sides that it reduces the road to a single lane for a two way road,cars are not able to get in and out of the estate without having to let other cars in or out or if you are unlucky enough, you have to reverse down the road to let another car pass.if emergency sevices were needed in the estate there is no room for them to get into the estate, a fire engine would find it hard to fit through the road lined with cars on both sides.

At the end of the day, its quite selfish to put this strain on any estate, the people just do not realise it. so, please think about where you are parking and he consequences it will have.i do think the parking situation for dundrum town centre employees is ridiculous and something definitly needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hi, im going to contribute to this thread as a resident in one of the neighbouring estates to Dundrum Shopping Centre.

The estate has not been mentioned here yet but it is constantly used by people working in dundrum shopping centre.I am fairly confident that the cars parked in our estate are never damaged in any way and the residents are not hostile to people who use the street as a parking facility. we have asked the council to put yellow lines or a parking permit system in the estate but this obviously takes time.(we have succeeded in getting the road leading to our estate getting double yellow lines however). The reason it is vey frustrating to have cars parked in the estate all the time is the danger that it causes. there are children in the estate and parked cars cause an obstruction when they are looking to cross a road. also, the cars are parked so far up the road on both sides that it reduces the road to a single lane for a two way road,cars are not able to get in and out of the estate without having to let other cars in or out or if you are unlucky enough, you have to reverse down the road to let another car pass.if emergency sevices were needed in the estate there is no room for them to get into the estate, a fire engine would find it hard to fit through the road lined with cars on both sides.

At the end of the day, its quite selfish to put this strain on any estate, the people just do not realise it. so, please think about where you are parking and he consequences it will have.i do think the parking situation for dundrum town centre employees is ridiculous and something definitly needs to be done.

I hear what your saying, but having lived in various parts of the city (A lot closer to town) thats what happens when your close to an area that generates lots of traffic. As a resident you just have to live with it once its there, I am sure people didnt complain when there house prices whent up with the construction of the shopping centre and luas.
    The way most areas deal with it is by making it permit parking, I know the council arent exactly quick to respond but the shopping centre didnt spring up over night.

The other thing is the Dundrum town centre seems to be an overdevelopment and the place is a nightmare to drive in at any weekend let alone Christmas time.

unknown13 wrote: »
    It is treated as a car park by the residents.

Not really. Most residents in these areas park in driveways, hence the frustration of seeing the on-street parking taken up as a park-and-ride facility. I've seen this commuter parking blocking bin lorries, and would also block a fire engine in case of emergency (though I'm sure the DFB have their ways of getting round such problems).

Residential estates are not commuter car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

irishguy wrote: »
    I hear what your saying, but having lived in various parts of the city (A lot closer to town) thats what happens when your close to an area that generates lots of traffic. As a resident you just have to live with it once its there, I am sure people didnt complain when there house prices whent up with the construction of the shopping centre and luas.
    The way most areas deal with it is by making it permit parking, I know the council arent exactly quick to respond but the shopping centre didnt spring up over night.

The other thing is the Dundrum town centre seems to be an overdevelopment and the place is a nightmare to drive in at any weekend let alone Christmas time.

Thanks for your response Irish guy but the house prices are irrelevant to anyone who wants to continue living where they have lived for years and have no intention of selling their houses.

yes the shopping centre has been there for a few years now but cars parking in our estate has not been happening for this long. first it took a while for workers to find the estate and to start parking there. in the beginning they parked on the main road outside the estate causing a danger. eventually the county council put double yellow lines on, now the parking has moved into the estate so the process of getting the council to do something has begun again.we have not just decided to have a problem with this over night.

the solution to this is not to say that we should put up with it, the solution is to do something about it and get the centre to be responsible and provide proper parking for its employees while at the same time putting in measures such as permit parking. there is no point in DTC employees giving out about residents resenting them for parking in local estates,wokers will eventually be displaced elsewhere when parking measures come in, the employees should instead put their frustration into getting formal parking put in place for them.

Thanks for your response Irish guy but the house prices are irrelevant to anyone who wants to continue living where they have lived for years and have no intention of selling their houses.

yes the shopping centre has been there for a few years now but cars parking in our estate has not been happening for this long. first it took a while for workers to find the estate and to start parking there. in the beginning they parked on the main road outside the estate causing a danger. eventually the county council put double yellow lines on, now the parking has moved into the estate so the process of getting the council to do something has begun again.we have not just decided to have a problem with this over night.

the solution to this is not to say that we should put up with it, the solution is to do something about it and get the centre to be responsible and provide proper parking for its employees while at the same time putting in measures such as permit parking. there is no point in DTC employees giving out about residents resenting them for parking in local estates,wokers will eventually be displaced elsewhere when parking measures come in, the employees should instead put their frustration into getting formal parking put in place for them.

I understand what you're saying but this happens everywhere. And a lot of the time people who live in theses estates are happy to park in other estates when it suits. It's complete hypocrisy some of the time. People do it in estates close to bus stops, DARTs, Luas and other shopping areas. One of my friends parents complain vigorously about car parking in their estate yet they park their car in other estates near the 46A.

At the end of the day, residents have no right over roads outside their houses more than the next person. We all pay road taxes, I don't pay any extra for the road outside my house. As someone else said its the hazard and result of living next to an urban focal point.

Nobody is complaining about resentment felt by those living in estates, in fact I quite understand it, however resentment is one thing and damaging someone elses property is a completely different thing. And you'll find that the only people committing crimes are those who live in estates and damage cars, not those who park there. So tell me who's wrong in that instance.

By all means there should be a permit parking system there to protect residents, but until there is, people who park there are doing nothing wrong and shouldnt have THEIR property damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

my bro lives very close to the center and often has his drive way blocked. But a quick call to the guards often results in the bar being towed. He reckons he has made close on to ten thousand for th state in fines :)

Advertisement