Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to put attic insulation rolls over pipes?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I am putting insulation into my attic, i know i shouldn't roll it out over any electrical wires or down lights, but there are some water and central heating pipes that the the insulation won't fit under. The insulation is 150mm and is enclosed in a a plastic type fabric, orange underneath and silver on the top and sides.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I am putting insulation into my attic, i know i shouldn't roll it out over any electrical wires or down lights, but there are some water and central heating pipes that the the insulation won't fit under. The insulation is 150mm and is enclosed in a a plastic type fabric, orange underneath and silver on the top and sides.

Go for it.
    Best protection for the pipes against frost and it will also reduce any heat loss... .
    Point to note.
    Make sure any cold water tanks are insulated as well and place an insulated lid on the tank(s).
    As you are reducing heat loss from the house into the attic you may consider fitting a frost heater near the tanks.... just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes its ok but i suggest you use something to mark the insulation so you know the run of pipes and cables. Most dont but i did.

Also... dont put insulation under the tank. In fact leave under the tank free...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Yes its ok but i suggest you use something to mark the insulation so you know the run of pipes and cables. Most dont but i did.

Also... dont put insulation under the tank. In fact leave under the tank free...

Why leave under the tanks free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I think the heat rising from the house/rooms below is the reason. May be wrong though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

davmol wrote: »

Eh,because heat rises.;)

• Advertisement

davmol wrote: »

The heat riseing from the house stops the water freezing.

Hoever there is a rule. I cant remember it but if its over x feet high(think 4.) from the ceiling to the bottom of the tank then you insulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

There is another reason also but it's not stated anywhere in building regs as I know of. The insulation can get damp/wet underneath the tank when there is slight condensation on it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

Hello,
    If the water in the attic tank is cold, then the cistern call for water and it fills with this cold water and the room is warmer, do we no get condensation.

L driver wrote: »
    Hello,
    If the water in the attic tank is cold, then the cistern call for water and it fills with this cold water and the room is warmer, do we no get condensation.

I dont know. I dont think anyone minds though tbh.... Might be onto a way of selling fans though ;)

Advertisement