Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing channels, wireless broadband interference

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm having an issue with my satellite dish installation. I've moved 4 months ago to a new semi-detached house and was told to stick dish only on the chimney area. I did so, had a strong signal but after maybe an hour after installer left the house some of the channels started disappearing. First the video started to freeze and after few minutes "searching for signal" message appeared. The installer came back 3 times trying to fix it, in the end I told him to try in a different place. So, we stick the dish at the back of the house, just below the roof. All was working perfect, until last week.
    Before I did the wall installation I'd asked my prop agent who I was renting from for the approval. I got it, but last week I got a letter from the crowd that takes care of the whole neighborhood that I breached the rules and dish has to be taken down or put back onto the chimney. Aaarrrrrggghhh I thought!
    I don't know what was causing the signal loss, my only suspicion is my neighbour's wireless broadband dish. But to my surprise when I asked him what provider he's using he showed me eircom modem (silver one) attached by telephone cable to the wall.
    I'm not an expert in this area so I've attached the pic of my chimney. Originally my dish was on the right side of the wireless thing now is below roof, bottom left side of the picture.
    I'm using standard Sky dish, the installer gave me new LNB (don't know the brand unfortunately) and trying to watch Polsat on Hotbird.
    Any advice appreciated as I was given the deadline 8th November.
    R.
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vVAX3KIjI3k/TMfkKhq4RaI/AAAAAAAAABA/7PMCNOaWVlQ/s512/dish.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's an MMDS dish + LNBF. It does NOTHING if not powered up (typically 14V or 18V from setbox end of coax). It's for UPC (ex Chorus/NTL). It doesn't do broadband or transmitting.

Not the RF, the coax or the Oscillator in it are anywhere near Satellite RF or coax frequencies. It can't interfere with Satellite reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭redlik

Thnx for the reply, as far as I understood it's not broadband dish, so there's no way to interfere. I'm in Tralee if this makes a difference.
    Any suggestions why some of the channels are disappearing? (in plain english please :-)))
    R.

Try unlplugging any DECT (cordless phones). see (diplomatically) if the Neighbour has Cordless phone (not mobile phone).

If yours or the Neighbour's cordless phone is interfering the installer may have not used properly screened coax cable or poorly fitted a connector.

At the moment my dish is on the back wall of the house and all the channel are working fine. I'll be trying to convince the property managm. company to allow me to keep it there. If I have some good proof it can't go on the chimney I might win my point.
    So at the moment I won't bother my neighbours as dish is 100% ok.
    Just preparing for the force installation back on the chimney and trying to find a solution.
    Would rotating the LNB (just my theoretical thinking) help or was my installer not educated enough to know what's wrong? He even offered me the money back and find someone else before I thought of different spot. Should have take the money then...
    Thnx again.
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

redlik wrote: »
    At the moment my dish is on the back wall of the house and all the channel are working fine. I'll be trying to convince the property managm. company to allow me to keep it there. If I have some good proof it can't go on the chimney I might win my point.
    So at the moment I won't bother my neighbours as dish is 100% ok.
    Just preparing for the force installation back on the chimney and trying to find a solution.

Legally planning permission is required to erect a satellite dish above the highest part of the roof of the house.

Satellite dishes are exempt from planning provided they meet the following conditions in S.I. No. 600 of 2001 - Planning and Development Regulations, 2001
    CLASS 4

(a) The erection of a wireless or television antenna, other than a satellite television signal receiving antenna, on the roof of a house.

The height of the antenna above the roof of the house shall not exceed 6 metres.

(b) The erection on or within the curtilage of a house, of a dish type antenna used for the receiving and transmitting of signals from satellites.

1. Not more than one such antenna shall be erected on, or within the curtilage of a house.

2. The diameter of any such antenna shall not exceed 1 metre.

3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house.

4. No such antenna shall be erected on the front roof slope of the house or higher than the highest part of the roof of the house

See the attached Information Notice from Cork City Council.

• Advertisement

Thnx Cush!
    Now I crush'em and they'll be asking for mercy :-)))
    Now, seriously - are their rules above this law?
    In the letter I've got the company says: we inform you th estate rules have changed in relation to the positioning of sat dishes: "Sat dishes shall only be mounted in the chimney stack with appropriate mounting system in place".
    Basically can I tell them to p... off because the law says something else?
    R.

yes.

But politely.

also it's mechanically/structurely the worst place to put a dish.

I just spoke to the prop mang. guy. He said the new rule was voted in favour at the AGM of owners and there's no exception, everyone has to move the dish to the chimney.
    So, I'm back to the start - something is blocking the signal on the chimney but not on the back wall few meters away. The cable from dish goes to the same place - attic and then goes down between the walls to the socket behind the telly.
    Aaarrrgghhh!
    I'm clueless.
    R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

These management companies like to throw their weight around. Even when the planning laws are in their favour (such as banning dishes on front of house), they like to present it as "their" rules. Having said that, I can't say I've ever seen much enforcement of these laws by the actual planners.

Advertisement