Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What caused the 1984 Hadden's Fire ?

Options
  • 26-10-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Was it something to do with workmen spilling tar ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Was it something to do with workmen spilling tar ?

Heard that story too. Apparently they were working on the roof of an adjoining building.

I happend to be in town myself when the fire was going on.

It was quite a sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It was indeed to do with the spilling tar..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Number 10 Shirt

There is even a Facebook page about it.See link below.

http://hi-in.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=54110358863

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Anyone remember the fountain downstairs in Haddens?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The big fountain in the car park? I thought the fire was caused by some electrical fault?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The one outside? Three tiered one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

yeah i do ...god that was a million years ago :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

There was a fountain outside in the car park but there was also a fountain at the bottom of the escalators in Haddens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

There was a fountain outside in the car park but there was also a fountain at the bottom of the escalators in Haddens!

You must mean the one in the rebuilt Haddens, the one that's there now.

Seem to vaguely remember one there 20 years ago.

Don't remember one in Haddens MK 1, the one that burnt down, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

yeah there was one downstairs, do the shaws downstairs not have it all covered in luggage bags and that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

i remember the day after the fire ,, the smell of smoke off all the lads in my class in school was rotten cos we had all been down there having a look at it . it was a huge bit of excitement for us teenagers back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

A neighbour of mine used to work there and I got a new pair of smoke damaged ;) runners out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ah yeah, the fountain downstairs in Haddens! :) There used to be a giant christmas tree in there at Christmas too and the Santa grotto, them were the days eh, simple times! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mylescarroll

i was on tullow street where the barrix pub is now got to see it all i was 24 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

I remember that night I was in my father's car coming back from an u/14 football match in Palatine. We were heading towards the town when the 9 o clock news on the radio came on and the headline was "a huge fire is raging in the centre of Carlow town tonight". That was a shock but I remember almost simultanously we began to see the smoke from it. It was a Monday night I'm almost certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

we were up at Eire Og clubhouse and saw the smoke...the ould lad brought us down and we stood on Quinnsworth bridge watching Haddens burn....how easily entetained we were back then...now we would just wait until someone posted it on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

yeah there was one downstairs, do the shaws downstairs not have it all covered in luggage bags and that??

Is that fountain gone?:eek:
    I'm in there very week, and just always assumed it's still there. Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hi sorry to start up an old tread but its carlow arts festival and i saw a event on this fire and wondered if there was any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

From the group mentioned above. https://www.facebook.com/groups/54110358863/photos/

5mYPVy.jpg
    7Zghpx.jpg
    5y4xQC.jpg
    7y4UcX.jpg
    7pn5eD.jpg
    4E3H4i.jpg
    78f2t8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

ken wrote: »

Wow i have been in carlow since 2006 and i got married here and i didnt even know of this tragedy. Was it natural or arson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Accident seems to be the accepted consensuses. A bucket of hot tar from builders on the next roof got knocked over and the fire spread (forgive the pun) like wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I was in Haddens car park around seven oClock and saw the fire . I think there were Lads working on the roof of the Woolworths building where the Foundry complex is now . A burning tar brasier fell off a roof into a Skip set fire to it thus setting fire to Haddens .
    All I saw was a few excited lads on a roof and a fire engine arriving . We were on our way to bring our new baby Daughter to see her granny up in the Butts . We took a photo of Granny holding the baby in her arms and we heard on the 9 oclock news that the fire had got out of control .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Was 9 at the time. Can still remember the huge crowd in the car park watching the fire

My mother brought me and my brothers down to see it. A lot of families would ve had communion/confirmation outfits with Shaw's too and I can just about remember the water/smoke damaged stock being sorted through afterwards.

My only concern at the time was my aunty used to take me to the restaurant in shaws every week for an ice cream sundae

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 limerickman76

today is the anniversary of the fire

Advertisement