Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good reason to fit a chimney cowl

Options
  • 26-10-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Havent been using the fire for a couple of years and the other half stuffed an old pillow up the chimney to stop drafts. Pulled it down today as I wanted to measure the clay lining. I noticed a couple of dead adult starlings up on the bend. I can only presume they some how fell down while sitting on the pot, which wouldnt have been a problem if the base of the chimney wasn't blocked up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Ah poor things, I have a cowl on my chimney and last year fitted a cast iron stove, I could hear a tapping noise and couldnt figure out where it was coming from, finally tracked it down a little sparrow had fallen down the chimney and found his way into the stove :eek: he was tapping on the glass door to get out. Managed to get him out and let him go in the garden, I called him sooty for obvious reasons :D he was the blackest sparrow I have ever seen for about three weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jay777

I've come downstairs a couple of mornings to find a starling flying around my living room after dropping down the chimney. I now too have a chimney guard!

Advertisement