Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Online going free to play

Options
  • 26-10-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Got an email today saying that ollowing on from several other games already, Champions Online is to go free to play from early next year. Not hugely surprising as it was a bit of a flop and I can't imagine it retaining the numbers it once had.

The two tiers of play will be "Gold" and "Silver", which loosely translate to "those who paid" and "those who didn't". Exact details of what's going to be missing from the free version have yet to come out.

I've played it on and off since it's release, and even though it's not the greatest game in the world, it's not bad for a bit of pick up and play superhero action. When it goes free I'd recommend those who haven't tried it to give it a whirl. It won't blow your mind, but in short spurts it can be a bit of fun.

I wonder if Star Trek will follow suit soon?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is that the one were you fight for Luthor's side (returned from the future due to evil master mind001 taking over it all) or for Superman's side (who don't trust him)? I recall seeing a video about the over all story but not much more and I can't remember if it was CO or the other Superhero game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No, that's DC Universe Online. I think that's out next month or so. This has been out for a year or two. It's a fairly simplistic MMO, but if it's going to be free, it's a good diversion.

http://www.champions-online.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

humanji wrote: »
    No, that's DC Universe Online. I think that's out next month or so. This has been out for a year or two. It's a fairly simplistic MMO, but if it's going to be free, it's a good diversion.

http://www.champions-online.com/

It depends on how much of the game you get to actually play tho as LOTRO has a good F2P model where EQ2 dosen't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't even think this going F2P would make me re-subscribe. It really didnt do anything for me at the time, and i don't see that having improved much since release.

Advertisement