Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineering

Options
  • 26-10-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey i was thinking of doing Mechanical Engineering and was just wondering if anyone could give me there opinion on the course in IT Sligo??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

BUMP!

Im thinking this forum isn't visited regularly so I might not get an answer here, and will most likely have to ask somewhere else..but!...

Just wondering is this course accredited/recognised?..like GMIT or Athlone IT? Heard that it wasn't, and doubt it would be much good abroad if thats the case?....Can anyone shed any light on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maverick Irl

After completing my leaving certificate I was totally undecided what degree course I should undertake as I was interested in becoming an Airline Pilot. I was advised to study Mechanical Engineering, but*I was under the false impression that the course was all about cars and engines "MECHANICAL" which I am not that interested in...... But how wrong I was! However I don't mean to put any car enthusiasts off as these areas are covered in depth among a world of other topics.
    After my first year studying Mechanical Engineering at IT Sligo I sourced and secured a placement in the Airbus Headquarters, Toulouse, France.
    Once you have a degree in Mechanical Engineering you can work in almost any discipline. Personally I know people working in Airtricity, ESB, Audi, BMW, Airbus, Aerlingus, Ryanair, Rolls Royce, NASA, F1, Abbots, Corrib Gas FIeld, to name just a few.*Just by looking at those few companies you can see the diverse range of areas (Renewable Energy, Aerospace, Automotive, Pharmaceutical)*you can work*in if you have the the passion to get where you want to go. I strongly believe that if you put in the effort and with the help of the lecturers and staff in IT Sligo who are most understanding and helpfull, you will succeed in your ambitions......
    The staff are very approachable and will assist you in whatever way they can for example the lecturers make every effort to get to know you personally therefore I always found it easy to approach them and discuss any problems I had.
    The Engineering block is a state of the art building with modern computer labs, and leading technology in the automation sector.
    Another great aspect of IT Sligo is it's location, state of the art library, sports facilities, night life, wide range of accommodation on or near campus, an impressive selection of clubs and societies, *and national public and private transport.
    I have now completed my Level 8 honours degree in Mechanical Engineering and personally I found my four years at IT Sligo a very worthwhile,valuable and enjoyable experience. If I was doing my leaving certificate again and applying for the CAO this course would definitely be my first choice because it is a degree which I can travel the world with and peruse my long held ambition.

To answer your question Griffin262:
    All level 7 and level 8 Mechanical Engineering degree courses at IT Sligo are recognized by HETAC (the Higher Education and Training Awards Council). The level L7 Mechanical is also accredited by Engineers Ireland and allows graduates entry as Associate Engineers.

I would recommend that you take a look at the following link:*http://courses.itsligo.ie/engineering-courses/mechanical-engineering/beng-in-mechanical-engineering-sg-333/

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Considering doing this next year. Anyone got information?

I'm persuming it'd be quite difficult. Know someone who has done Civil Engineering and had to take a year out due to the course being so hard (he'd likely be smarter than me too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Maths is a big part of the course, particularly calculus. If you don't have the basics, you will spend a lot of your time getting to grips with it. Physics and chemistry would also be a big part and are covered in a few different subjects but I don't think they're as hard as the maths; a lot of maths will be needed for them anyway, particularly formula transposition.

There is a lot of practical work to the course - a half day a week in an engineering workshop, working on milling machines and lathes along with some other cool equipment. There is also 2 hours a week in a mechatronics lab, working with electrical and pneumatic systems.

It's a very interesting course, but if I haven't made it clear yet, the maths is a massive part of it - you won't get by if you don't have a grasp or don't put in the hours working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Maths is a big part of the course, particularly calculus. If you don't have the basics, you will spend a lot of your time getting to grips with it. Physics and chemistry would also be a big part and are covered in a few different subjects but I don't think they're as hard as the maths; a lot of maths will be needed for them anyway, particularly formula transposition.

There is a lot of practical work to the course - a half day a week in an engineering workshop, working on milling machines and lathes along with some other cool equipment. There is also 2 hours a week in a mechatronics lab, working with electrical and pneumatic systems.

It's a very interesting course, but if I haven't made it clear yet, the maths is a massive part of it - you won't get by if you don't have a grasp or don't put in the hours working on it.

Cheers.

Would Ordinary Level Maths be okay for it?
    Not doing Physics or Chemistry. Doing Construction and DCG though.

Also, if you know, what is the difference in the points system? This seems to be like 155 in Sligo and in NUIG it's 425 and in DIT it's 355. Confusing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The short answer is yes; there's a good few in the course that did pass maths and are coping with it.

I've no clue about the points system, I got in as a mature student.

Advertisement