Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are other Guards referred to as 'Members'

Options
  • 26-10-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Always wondered about this one.

Surely being a member means you have joined something and all dictionaries refer to 'a person who belongs to a group, club, society, trade union etc'

So how to employees of the state, specifically employees of AGS, become members? Employees are imply that, employees. Using the word member seems to imply that benefits accrue by being associated with AGS !!

Anybody know why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

probably comes down to legislation where gardaí are reffered to as "members of an garda síochána"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

:confused: Theres nothing hard to understand i dont think, You become a member once you join an organisation do you not ? Hence thats were you get member of AGS

Because we are members of An Garda Síochána. Simple. You can be a member too if you want as you are a member of the DFB.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I concur with the member of an garda Siochana bit..

On a side note, you'd be surprised how well saying "member" works to get in free to coppers.

I concur with the member of an garda Siochana bit..

On a side note, you'd be surprised how well saying "member" works to get in free to coppers.

You have to pay me to go into that kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

See if ya still say that at 2am on a Monday night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

foreign wrote: »

foreign demands a cover charge to go in, but doesnt have to pay one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

In it once, the whole operation is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A tad off topic I know but what I would really like to know is why do AGS members ( yes , members ) call each other ' Mules ' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

delancey42 wrote: »
    A tad off topic I know but what I would really like to know is why do AGS members ( yes , members ) call each other ' Mules ' ?

From what I was told by a Detective friend is that it is short for "Pack Mules", ie the uniforms do all the donkey work, how true this version of where Mules comes from I don't know...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

delancey42 wrote: »

Our super was known as 7
    (Its a grizzly adams reference).

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Also as stubborn as mules!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Most Cops here call each other Members.

Short for "Members Of [Insert State] Police"

Members can be sworn or unsworn.

Its just on of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Most Cops here call each other Members.

I know a fella who was arrested for calling a Guard a member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

optogirl wrote: »
    I know a fella who was arrested for calling a Guard a member

I very much doubt that's all he was arrested for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

cushtac wrote: »
    I very much doubt that's all he was arrested for.

Eh, it was a joke man.

optogirl wrote: »
    Eh, it was a joke man.

I'm sorry. I was under the impression jokes were meant to be funny, and had to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Because we are members of An Garda Síochána. Simple. You can be a member too if you want as you are a member of the DFB.

I am an employee of DFB as distinct from a member.

The use of the word member seems to imply a right, as in a club where a member has playing rights or joining rights.

I also think that 'member' creates an air of them and us and may lead to some difficulties for Guards (see funny post by Optogirl).

How would Guards feel if they referred to themselves simply as Guards or as employees of AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

dfbemt wrote: »

The use of the word member seems to imply a right, as in a club where a member has playing rights or joining rights.

I also think that 'member' creates an air of them and us and may lead to some difficulties for Guards (see funny post by Optogirl).

How would Guards feel if they referred to themselves simply as Guards or as employees of AGS?

I don't I've ever heard anyone criticise the whole 'member' thing. Does they being called Mules also create an air of 'them and us'?:pac:

I thought you were referred to as fire fighters.

It is the term used in legislation and nothing more.

I think your effort to make an issue out of nothing says something about your feelings towards Gardaí more than anything else.

Gardaí are called far worse so it's not going to bother us, but if you're that annoyed about the term 'member' ring your TD or Joe Duffy. Gardaí also refer to themselves as Gardaí, Guards, members, mules and polis (or polismen); do any of these names offend your sensibilities too or are we allowed keep them?

• Advertisement

I thought you were referred to as fire fighters.

It is the term used in legislation and nothing more.

I think your effort to make an issue out of nothing says something about your feelings towards Gardaí more than anything else.

Gardaí are called far worse so it's not going to bother us, but if you're that annoyed about the term 'member' ring your TD or Joe Duffy. Gardaí also refer to themselves as Gardaí, Guards, members, mules and polis (or polismen); do any of these names offend your sensibilities too or are we allowed keep them?

Whoa there pal. Simple questions asked to generate debate, nothing more.

Really, if you can't participative in a constructive or even a lighthearted manner, you shouldn't participate.

Guards are guards, firemen are firemen. No offence taken, sorry you took some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Well said cushtac...this craic annoys me, trying to make a deal out of jack-sh#te...

I just wanted to get that in before the lock, hint hint nudge nudge

Whoa there pal. Simple questions asked to generate debate, nothing more.

It was a loaded question, not a simple one. You got an answer but felt compelled to go on with your own gripe about the use of the term 'member'.

And there's a difference between generating debate and ****-stirring.
    Really, if you can't participative in a constructive or even a lighthearted manner, you shouldn't participate.

Report the post if you're not happy with it, or talk to Joe.

It was a loaded question, not a simple one. You got an answer but felt compelled to go on with your own gripe about the use of the term 'member'.

And there's a difference between generating debate and ****-stirring.

Report the post if you're not happy with it, or talk to Joe.

I can assure you that it was not loaded but a narrow mind would never believe that.

I also showed concern that the use of the term 'member' might cause difficulties for AGS and this was confirmed by another poster in reference to her friend.

That is the 2nd time you have mentioned Joe Duffy. Obsessive?

Like the DFB, I am sure AGS also has its fair share of a**eholes. Thanks for confirming that point for me.

It's a pity that people can't honestly debate nowadays without resorting to jibes when there is something said that they don't like.

Report the thread if you're not happy with it, or talk to Joe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

@ dfbemt, your question was answered, and the post by Optogirl does not back up your statement in any manner?

A Garda is a member of AGS, therefore they refer to each other as members...honestly, was this even worthy of a debate? Or even a thread at all?

This is worse than the blue light threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I just wanted to get that in before the lock, hint hint nudge nudge

Last time I check you were not a moderator here.......hint hint nudge nudge again and we'll see where it gets you.

To Everyone - Moderators make the decision to lock threads. The report button is there for a reason.....use it or dont type!

O/P - Your question has been answered, very correctly - AGS are refered to as members of AGS in legislation. Thats where it comes from

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement