Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Road Closures

• 26-10-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭

Passed a sign last night saying the the Dublin Road will be closed from 6pm to 6am from the 6th of November.

I can't see anything about it on the City Council website.

Anyone have any details ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I seen this last night also. I'm not sure what it's refering to. How much is closed?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Spotted that sign myself last night, I live on Clare Street, will be a pain in le hole by the sounds of it :mad:
    No danger of the council notifying people in the area...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I read recently that they're replacing the roundabout at the Abbey Bridge with traffic lights.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/RoadConstructionDesignMaintenance/LimerickCityCentreInnerOrbitalRoutePhase3/
    Phase 3 of the scheme provides for the removal of the Abbey Bridge Roundabout and the provision of traffic signal control at Abbey Bridge/Clare Street and Clare Street/Lelia Street junctions. Work has commenced on site on 30th September and will be completed by the end of November ahead of the peak Christmas 2010 shopping period.

Is this where the signs are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BobMc

great another balls up in the making, so lights at baals bridge and another set in 15mtrs, let see em get the timing on them right :mad:

Is this where the signs are?

The only sign I seen last night was down by Groody roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

There is a sign beside the parkway as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

BobMc wrote: »
    great another balls up in the making, so lights at baals bridge and another set in 15mtrs, let see em get the timing on them right :mad:

anyone else read article in papers at the weekend about City councils in the UK taking out traffic lights by the dozen and despite all the initial negative thoughts of traffic mayham, everything is working so efficiently. Traffic is constantly moving and all roads have equal priority and cos there is never anyone racing to get the orange light before it turns red, there have been big decrease in amount of accidents. So what does our estemed councillors do - put in more lights. Ah ya, it all makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭manna452121

They did post a notice in THE POST two weeks ago but it did not give details,maybe doing work on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

anyone else read article in papers at the weekend about City councils in the UK taking out traffic lights by the dozen and despite all the initial negative thoughts of traffic mayham, everything is working so efficiently. Traffic is constantly moving and all roads have equal priority and cos there is never anyone racing to get the orange light before it turns red, there have been big decrease in amount of accidents. So what does our estemed councillors do - put in more lights. Ah ya, it all makes sense.

this is very true, and is the whole damn point of round abouts in the 1st place

if i remember correctly, though I ain't 100%, the council no longer deal with traffic management, its been sold off to a private company, now this is just a hunch but the only upside for anyone, would be for the private company who would have more traffic lights to maintain with the removal of the roundabout(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CC needs to be shot in fairness, traffic lights will f>ck everything up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think the road closure is only going to be around the railway bridge at the city side of the Parkway, IE must be doing some upgrade work to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So what does our estemed councillors do - put in more lights. Ah ya, it all makes sense.

Actually this decision would have been made by the Transport and Infrastructure Dept of the City Council. The councillors take quite a bashing on here but really all the do is sign off on decisions made by the various Directors of Services and the City Manager. Even if they vote against something the City Manager has the power to overrule it and proceed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Actually this decision would have been made by the Transport and Infrastructure Dept of the City Council. The councillors take quite a bashing on here but really all the do is sign off on decisions made by the various Directors of Services and the City Manager. Even if they vote against something the City Manager has the power to overrule it and proceed anyway.

maybe . . . . but they have no problem in taking the credit when they can - evidenced last week when we had 2 councillors fighting over who was responsible for getting a road resurfaced. local papers are always full of them taking credit for one set of ped lights or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭touts

Mc Love wrote: »
    CC needs to be shot in fairness, traffic lights will f>ck everything up!

Agreed. What on earth are they thinking. There seem to be traffic lights popping up on every possible junction on the Dublin and Dock roads these days. You would nearly think they were trying to force traffic out of the city and onto a new but under used tolled bypass... Oh wait!

Thats the thing - its harder to drive into the city now and I am sure with their new orbital route, it will bring the death of the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I for one can't wait for this new improvement to our roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I despair, I really do.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Passed a sign last night saying the the Dublin Road will be closed from 6pm to 6am from the 6th of November.

I can't see anything about it on the City Council website.

Anyone have any details ?

Theres a hint in there somewhere about who is behind all of this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zuroph wrote: »
    Theres a hint in there somewhere about who is behind all of this...

Clearly its Gilligan. I blame him for everything. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭manna452121

Anyone find out what the road closure was for.

• Advertisement

looks like they're replacing the railway bridge, there was a new on on the back of a truck there yesterday when I passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

zuroph wrote: »
    looks like they're replacing the railway bridge, there was a new on on the back of a truck there yesterday when I passed.

Thats it alright. Not a conspiracy at all, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes they are replacing the old railway bridge there.

Anyone find out what the road closure was for.

Post #12 above might have been close to why the road was being closed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

AA Roadwatch have this posted on their site regarding the road closure - http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=115230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

St patricks road and lynwood park were a feckin car park today with impatient people driving crazy through the neighbourhood. Total disaster. No pedestrians Allowed under the bridge either! Had to divert my running route via rhebogue. weekly trip for the shopping in aldi was torture today. The sooner the bridge is sorted the better!!! Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Jesus Christ some of you people are unreal, the bridge had to be replaced ffs ye would be crying if a bit of it fell off and shouting about the lack of repairs done by CIE.

Hooked wrote: »
    St patricks road and lynwood park were a feckin car park today with impatient people driving crazy through the neighbourhood. Total disaster. No pedestrians Allowed under the bridge either! Had to divert my running route via rhebogue. weekly trip for the shopping in aldi was torture today. The sooner the bridge is sorted the better!!! Rant over.

The road is closed for 36hrs, hardly a life time in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

but he wanted to run under the bridge that was being replaced and removed, he was put out !:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Came across this today, it may be of interest to some of you.

Replacing the railway bridge on the Dublin Road, near the Parkway SC.

http://www.shannonimagesweb.com/coffey/videolimerick.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

phog wrote: »
    Came across this today, it may be of interest to some of you.

Replacing the railway bridge on the Dublin Road, near the Parkway SC.

http://www.shannonimagesweb.com/coffey/videolimerick.html

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Very Cool indeed

Impressive

Nice video!

I see at 4.19 the local neighbour comes and have a good look for a minute :P

Advertisement