Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

:'(

• 26-10-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

After just over a month, I've fallen out of love with Halo: Reach. It's sad but true I'm afraid. After grinding up to Lt. Col. it's slowly gotten to be less and less fun for me. The fact that they give more of an incentive to play Gruntpocalypse by yourself than playing in multiplayer games is pretty disheartening IMO.

The challenges are repetitive and most of them don't offer enough credits for what's required a lot of the time. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a flaming post on it whatsoever, I love the Halo franchise and universe. I just don't find this game FUN anymore. I played a game of CoD for the first time in two months the other night and in my first game of that I had more fun than I'd had with Halo in over a week.

Anyone else feel that they need to change the credit system or are you guys happy with how it works out? I don't know whether I'll be picking the map pack up now either. I'll just wait and see how it plays out I guess. </3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

My grind is nearly over.

18,000 more cR to go to Lt. Colonel and my 1000 points, and then the disk comes out and I don't know when its going back in.

I do still find the game fun, but I am sick of the grinding, and I only started the grind because I got 990 point easy enough and then said feck it, I'll go for the Make It Rain one, I didn't think it would take over 4 days 4 hours clocked up online.

My trek is nearly over....I might be back if this Noble pack gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

The fact that they give more of an incentive to play Gruntpocalypse by yourself than playing in multiplayer games is pretty disheartening IMO.

I agree on this point anyway, the credit system should be changed as it doesnt make sense that Gruntpocalypse can get you double the points than most multiplayer gametypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

What is the point of grinding for lt. colonel exactly? Just play the game and have fun

I did have fun!

I just used the word grind as it took so long to get to Lt. Colonel!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

After just over a month, I've fallen out of love with Halo: Reach. It's sad but true I'm afraid. After grinding up to Lt. Col. it's slowly gotten to be less and less fun for me. The fact that they give more of an incentive to play Gruntpocalypse by yourself than playing in multiplayer games is pretty disheartening IMO.

</3

Can you elaborate on this incentive please? Mainly been playing matchmaking firefight any evening I've spotted a daily challenge I can complete in it. Been having some enjoyable sessions and hit Captain last night.

If the returns from Gruntpocalypse are greater though, I will be putting in some serious grind!

• Advertisement

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this incentive please? Mainly been playing matchmaking firefight any evening I've spotted a daily challenge I can complete in it. Been having some enjoyable sessions and hit Captain last night.

If the returns from Gruntpocalypse are greater though, I will be putting in some serious grind!

Well for firefight challenges which are usually like "Kill 100/200/whatever enemies in Firefight" it is much easier and quicker to do in gruntpocalypse. One game of it will get you 120 kills and last about 5 minutes, rather than spending 20 mins on a firefight to get around the same amount. And especially when they have the "Kill X amount of enemies with the pistol", gruntpocalypse is the business.

Also compared to matchmaking games, a game of gruntpocalypse gets you a LOT more cR than any other playlist

take for example todays challenges....Kill 150 enemies in Firefight, Kill 200 Enemies with headshots in Firefight, Complete a Firefight game without dying.. those 3 can be completed in 2 games of Gruntpocalypse!

Cheers! I Didn't think Gruntpocalypse qualified as "Firefight Matchmaking", was under the impression that you played on your own for this mode.

Should make getting all of the daily challenges for today pretty easy.Damn it, I'd promised myself that I'd spend time with the girlfriend after work, but todays challenges sound like some very easy credits!

Oh 20,000 point in one Firefight Game won't be easy!

I got the 15,000 one earlier in the week in Sniper Attack Score Attack, and only just got over 15k.

The other challenges are fairly easy, just play Gruntpocalypse as maximoose says.

20,000 points in Firefight is plausible, but I wouldn't like to be trying for it in "vanilla" Firefight. Hit 22,000 in sniperfight the other night and I've come close in rocketfight.

Sniper sprees and killtaculars really push the score up. Just learn where the grunts land when jumping out of dropship, launch a rocket as the first one lands so you get a nice multiple award :)

Also the sniper rifle is great for taking out wraiths and ghosts,2200 points when you take out the wraith if you haven't killed the turret operator first. - counts as a double kill on top of the points for taking out the wraith.

You can also shoot the turret at the bottom of phantom dropships for 2 - 7 credits each time. 2 sniper shots or a few sticky grenades do the job nicely and remove an annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

yeah, easy credits today, and the 20k on firefight is easy enough, i hit 22k last night on a rull 30 mins of rocketfight on holdout without really trying, and if you get lucky and one or two quit/lag out you're in business, got nearly 50k on corvette rocketfight the other day when all three players lagged out on me! :D

• Advertisement

ya Rocket fight is the one to do it in alrite!

I managed 26k in one the last day now that I think of it!!! One lad quit so there was more kills for us left, must give that a go!

Should have done that when i was going for the 15k earlier this week, instead of sweating it out in Sniper Attack and only just scraping 15k with my last kill.

yup two games of gruntpocalypse and a firefight on corvette did the job :)

Same here, 2 games of gruntpocalypse and a Sniper Fight on Courtyard.

Gruntpocalypse can get a bit tedious though....

Had a fantastic run on Sniperfight, 2 guys dropped out so the kills racked up massively. Finished with a score of 42,336 points! Managed to kill 2 Hunters in the bonus round at the end with the sticky grenade launcher, it was beautiful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

neilk32 wrote: »
    What is the point of grinding for lt. colonel exactly? Just play the game and have fun

Because of the achievement. The multiplayer is fun as hell but when they give you more credits for playing Gruntpocalypse instead of playing multiplayer games which are a lot tougher then it gets tedious and insanely boring. Also, the repetitive and uninspiring challenges are annoying when you repeat the same things every day, ie. Kill X amount of enemies in any game mode, complete X mission on Legendary/Heroic.

If they mixed up the challenges with things like winning objective gametypes or finishing with the top score in a particular playlist that ISN'T firefight and if they change the credit system then perhaps I'll be swayed back but until then I'll be looking forward to Black Ops. For now, it's looking REALLY interesting with the ranking system and customisation options. But then again, it may suck a fat one, we'll just have to wait and see.

Jayd0g wrote: »
    the sniper rifle is great for taking out wraiths and ghosts,2200 points when you take out the wraith if you haven't killed the turret operator first. - counts as a double kill on top of the points for taking out the wraith.

You can also shoot the turret at the bottom of phantom dropships for 2 - 7 credits each time. 2 sniper shots or a few sticky grenades do the job nicely and remove an annoyance.

Taking out the turret is more about removing the annoyance TBH, you'll actually lose out on kills while you're reloading, but you're kinda taking one for the team there. Taking out wraiths is essential if you're playing for points though. They're big points, and you'll usually end up winning the game if you get lots of them, which gives you a bonus in itself.

Quick tip. Take out the wraiths with sniper fire BEFORE they drop out of the dropships, while the ships are incoming. They're easy to hit and a few well placed shots is all you need. It's funny to see a stack of dead tanks on top of each other where they get dropped and never get to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stupidly Naked

I'm just curious as to why everyone here who plays reach tries to get the highest rank. Play for fun. MLG is great fun as far as I'm concerned and it takes some skill. Campaign wasn't bad. But if your complain about getting bored of firefight maybe you aren't a gamer...
    I leave you this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I play for fun, and fun for me is ranking up and getting all the shiny new armors, If one didn't rank up, playing would seem pointless.

Also, MLG takes about as much skill as breathing, all you have to do is get one of the few power weapons and camp. Only whining little quitting bitches play MLG tbh. Of the one game I played, 2 of my teammates quit on me. Then you get gang banged by the other team who constantly spawn kill and whore the power weapons.

If you get bored of reach just play a different game, that's what i did, and 3 weeks without playing was great cus now i love playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I play for fun, and fun for me is ranking up and getting all the shiny new armors, If one didn't rank up, playing would seem pointless.

I'll never understand this perspective. If the armour had an ability then sure, unlock it 'til your hearts content but it's just some pixels. Unlocking armour can be fun but for me it's just something I do on the side.

I always thought the real fun in multiplayer on any game was getting on with some friends and using a little teamwork to out smart and beat some Americans.
    MLG takes about as much skill as breathing, all you have to do is get one of the few power weapons and camp. Only whining little quitting bitches play MLG tbh. Of the one game I played, 2 of my teammates quit on me. Then you get gang banged by the other team who constantly spawn kill and whore the power weapons.

I won't deny that a lot people who play MLG tend to be whiney bitches but playing one game is hardly enough to judge the entire playlist, especially when two of your teammates quit - it's obiously not going to be fun. As for MLG taking about as much skill as breathing.. well frankly I've nothing to say about that except for it takes quite a lot of skill to be good at.

Here's MLG played at a high level

to the OP: I would have to agree. I've gone through several stages of love/hate with reach, sometimes you get great games, sometimes things totally totally suck, particularly with the online experience and networking issues, but the acid test for me is that i've already moved on and played through 2 or 3 other games fully through since reach came out, which is very unusual for me with ANY halo game.

I will probably go back to it at some stage when there's a lull in the good games that are being released, but it just hasn't stood up to the level of fun and grabbed me the way that other halo games did. I don't think halo 3 was out of my disc tray for at least 6 months when it came out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I won't deny that a lot people who play MLG tend to be whiney bitches but playing one game is hardly enough to judge the entire playlist, especially when two of your teammates quit - it's obiously not going to be fun. As for MLG taking about as much skill as breathing.. well frankly I've nothing to say about that except for it takes quite a lot of skill to be good at.

Here's MLG played at a high level

I agree that the high level requires lots of skill, but at the level that most of us are playing at, it takes about as much skill as any other gametype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm going to echo a few sentiments that MLG is pretty much skill-less, they have the base game changed in such a way as it barely even resembles what Halo multiplayer was supposed to be. First time I got dragged into the playlist by a friend for a couple of games, I actually felt quite sick with the 110% movement speed...

The only gametypes I play at the minute are SWAT and Rumble pit...occasionally a bit of firefight if there's a challenge

Still haven't got bored of it, although definitely not playing it as much as in the first few weeks after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I'm going to echo a few sentiments that MLG is pretty much skill-less, they have the base game changed in such a way as it barely even resembles what Halo multiplayer was supposed to be. First time I got dragged into the playlist by a friend for a couple of games, I actually felt quite sick with the 110% movement speed...

Regardless of what people think of MLG, I find that those who it are generally much better at the game than those who don't, even in regular gametypes. You might argue that it's because they play more but it's got more to do with your perspective on the game.

After speaking with people in the past who hated MLG, their argument against it was always that it ''it took no skill.'' If it takes no skill why are you getting beaten so badly? (I should make clear at this point that I'm not implying that people in this thread are getting beaten badly)

I'm aware that an element of MLG elitism might be shining through in my posts but around two years ago I was in the same position you guys are in when I was playing Halo 3. I despised MLG. Then my perspective changed on the game when I saw how MLG pros used teamwork and precision aim to win, instead of running around like headless chickens spraying everything with the assault rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yet the one element of skill that's left in MLG, precision aim, they're even having complaints from people who play it to try and remove the reticle bloom...

Seriously, if they want to stick with running faster, more damage and shots that remain on target with constant trigger pulling, they should stay playing Halo 2 over LAN.

Yet I'm one of those people who much prefers playing with precision weapons, if you look at my stats and my commendations you'll find a lot more precision ones than auto ones. I rarely lose DMR or Needle Rifle battles, but I get raped nearly all the time the second someone comes even remotely near me with a Shotgun.

If they REALLY are pros, then surely they can still use teamwork and precision aim by burst-firing their Assault Rifles and team-shotting with the Magnum?

Advertisement