Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 2.2 via Kies

Options
  • 26-10-2010 12:29am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Samsung Galaxy is now being offered 2.2 (PDA:JM2 / Phoe:LM1/ CSC JM1)
    The process only asks to back up Phone book.
    Is anything else lost? are apps & updates kept?
    What about calander / settings / Wi Fi APNs etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 eyes_alive

Will the install wipe all installed apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

The update isn't showing up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

JM2 is still based on 2.1 eclair. UK & Ireland 2.2 froyo isn't due until early November.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So its not a big upgrade that's being offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi,

Just installed this upgrade and can confirm that post installation of this upgrade my SGS is reporting the following:

- Firmware version "2.1-update1"
    - Baseband version "19000XXJM1"
    - Kernel version "2.6.29 root@SE-S603 # 2"
    - Build number "ECLAIR.XWJM2"

Apart from there now being an annoying <<<< sweep glass to unloock >>>> message at the bottom of the locked screen (as if we didn't know or couldn't figure out how to swipe!!) I've noticed the phone does seem much much faster. I'm not sure if this update includes a lag fix or not but it does seem much more responsive.

Does anyone know what this update is supposed to achieve? Is the GPS fixed? Does battery performance improve? Anything else???

Ben

PS when I connected to Kies this morning I first had to upgrade the Kies software and then go through the Firmware upgrade. I clicked all the way through and all my apps and data seem to have been retained/restored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi,

Just installed this upgrade and can confirm that post installation of this upgrade my SGS is reporting the following:

- Firmware version "2.1-update1"
    - Baseband version "19000XXJM1"
    - Kernel version "2.6.29 root@SE-S603 # 2"
    - Build number "ECLAIR.XWJM2"

Apart from there now being an annoying <<<< sweep glass to unloock >>>> message at the bottom of the locked screen (as if we didn't know or couldn't figure out how to swipe!!) I've noticed the phone does seem much much faster. I'm not sure if this update includes a lag fix or not but it does seem much more responsive.

Does anyone know what this update is supposed to achieve? Is the GPS fixed? Does battery performance improve? Anything else???

Ben

PS when I connected to Kies this morning I first had to upgrade the Kies software and then go through the Firmware upgrade. I clicked all the way through and all my apps and data seem to have been retained/restored.

Edit - Tried the Maps application and the Navigation application and they both appear to be working excellently now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Upgraded this today.
    As BenEadir , no major changes.
    Nothing needed restoring & it does seem more responsive.

As an update to thins some new things I found.
    It now displays a battery icon top left when battery is fully charged.
    The menu options have changed in the browser

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

The above update is the same one that was installed on my phone when I purchased it here a month ago (eclair - update 1). I was hoping this was a thread about the 2.2 update being available. Has 2.1-update1 not been available through Kies for the last few months anyway or did it only become available with the past week?

Just read that 2.2 is supposed to be released here in early November...

Apologies I initially thought this was the 2.2 update.
    I posted this before I installed it. I am not sure how long it has been available. I hadn't checked in quite a while.
    I also have heard the November date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have my sgs a month or so and it came with 2.1 update 1.

No update there when I look. Hope Three don't hold it back but I will root and upgrade myself if I have too.

Advertisement