Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Limerick

Options
  • 25-10-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the book was that Gilligan gave to Gormley was called?

Mad to find out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't know but an excellent book on the history of Limerick is Dowd's History of Limerick, edited by Cian O'Carroll. The O'Carroll edition was released around the time of Treaty 300, iirc, it was published by O'Brien Press. The Celtic Bookstore opposite the Hunt Muesum might have a few copies of it, though it may be out of print now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Well jump across from work in the afternoon and check thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Don't know but an excellent book on the history of Limerick is Dowd's History of Limerick, edited by Cian O'Carroll. The O'Carroll edition was released around the time of Treaty 300, iirc, it was published by O'Brien Press. The Celtic Bookstore opposite the Hunt Muesum might have a few copies of it, though it may be out of print now.

Would highly recommend it, bought it a good years back and would still use it for reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

The Government and the people of Limerick by Matthew Potter.

IMGP8090.JPG

And a copy of the City Charter to go with it.

More pics from the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just finished Sarsfield and the Jacobites, by Kevin Hiddock-Flynn. It's a overview of the entire Williamite/Jacobite conflict but does give an idea of what Limerick and Ireland was like in the era. I picked it up pretty cheaply from the bookstall in Arthur's Quay ages ago, well worth checking out if you come across it.

Also, was in the Celtic bookstore today and do still have copies of Dowd's History of Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

History of the Limerick by Maurice Lenihan is a very comprehensive book on Limerick's past.

I have a copy of it that belonged to my grandfather and it is a great read. There are almost 800 pages and loads of copies of famous documents and charters from Limerick's history.

It covers every mayor, sheriff, politician, high clergy, baliff, military, and socialite position of note up to the the 1800's from when Limerick was formed.

My copy is very old and has a wonderful leatherjacket on it, but I would assume that the book has been reprinted a number of times since.

Advertisement