Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone else's medication

Options
  • 25-10-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I am just wondering if anyone has taken Xanax for use as a relaxant before a flight?

I am terrified of flying,ever since some really bad turbulence on a flight two years ago. I have only flown once since,and went to my G.P. to see if he would give me something for the flight. He gave me 2 Diazepam tablets,one for going and one for coming home. It was a very low dose and to be honest it didn't do a whole lot for me!

I have to fly again next week,and my sister has offered me a couple of her Xanax. I would be worried about taking anything prescribed for anyone else of course,but I know Xanax is widely used and I would love to know if anyone has taken it before flying.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

anthonymax wrote: »
    I am just wondering if anyone has taken Xanax for use as a relaxant before a flight?

I am terrified of flying,ever since some really bad turbulence on a flight two years ago. I have only flown once since,and went to my G.P. to see if he would give me something for the flight. He gave me 2 Diazepam tablets,one for going and one for coming home. It was a very low dose and to be honest it didn't do a whole lot for me!

I have to fly again next week,and my sister has offered me a couple of her Xanax. I would be worried about taking anything prescribed for anyone else of course,but I know Xanax is widely used and I would love to know if anyone has taken it before flying.

always and i do mean always check with your gp there are so many factors to consider when takin new medications such as current medication and dosage your age and or wieght your previous medical history allergies etc. phone ur surgery and ask for a gp callback they will advise over the phone. exuse spelling and grammer im on my phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

This is not medical advice and I would encourage you to consult with your personal physician or other appropriate health-care professionals
    anthonymax wrote: »
    ... I would be worried about taking anything prescribed for anyone else of course,but I know Xanax is widely used and I would love to know if anyone has taken it before flying.
    You are right to be concerned about taking someone else's prescription-only medicine. Alprazolam (brand names Xanax, Gerax, Calmax, etc) is one of the more widely abused benzodiazepines, much like the diazepam (brand name Valium) your doctor prescribed. Both drugs have serious tolerance / dependency issues associated with them.

Unlike diazepam, which has therapeutic uses other than as a tranquiliser, e.g. as a muscle relaxant in seizure control, as a pre-operative medication, etc. alprazolam is designed / and used to treat moderate to severe anxiety disorders. Neither drug is meant for long-term use and each is prescription only.

The contraindications and special warnings are significant and neither drug is suitable for self-diagnosis or self-medication. To quote the http://www.medicines.ie website "Benzodiazepines are only indicated when the disorder is severe, disabling or subjecting the individual to extreme distress."

Refer to the PIL and Section 4 of the SPC for these drugs on http://www.medicines.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you should not take medicine prescribed for anyone else

speak to your gp for advice

thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement