Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Philosophy Help!

Options
  • 25-10-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

So i have to hand my essay on Descartes this Friday and thing is ive yet to start it and don't know how to start a Philosophy essay?
    The question is:

"Outline the steps of the argument Descartes employs to establish the indubitability of his own existence. Offer your own critical assessment of his argument."

Any help from previous and ongoing modern phiolosophy studdents will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

I understand what you are going through, I have just finished typing up my Descartes essay and it drove me mad.Ive spent weeks reading, researching and had no idea where to start. It depends on whether you are going to take a critical stance or a defensive stance on Descartes arguments....I went for critical as there is lot to object to. The only tip i can really give is to be consistent in your approach and to have your secondary reading done so you know what quotes to use.This essay has been a mega pain in my butt but am so glad to have it over with......just write the four steps descartes comes to and then criticise the **** out of him and use his other critics to back you up.
    Goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

IT's not easy because it is your first ever college essay, most likely. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Some good advice I got was to sketch out a little plan. Something like:
    5 sections
    1. Introduction
    2. Descartes talks about (i) bent sticks in water and (ii) a world where 2+2=5
    3. (iii) Evil demon argument
    4. These steps lead to => "I doubt therefore I am" - critical assessment
    5. Conclusion

I may misremember the details, but you get the point from the structure.

Note that the last thing you write will be the introduction! Start writing with the phrase "The first step of Descartes' argument is..." and then (assuming you've read the text and know what it is) start writing. You can go back later and improve. However if you get writing and get a few hundred words on paper that should give you some confidence to get more into it.

Literally thousands of students have written this essay over the years, so don't worry about coming up with some new or striking insight (although if you do, I expect at least a footnote). Demonstrate that you understand the argument, and find a reputable scholarly critique or two to reference, to show that you understand that the argument isn't beyond criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

katie007 wrote: »
    So i have to hand my essay on Descartes this Friday and thing is ive yet to start it and don't know how to start a Philosophy essay?
    The question is:

"Outline the steps of the argument Descartes employs to establish the indubitability of his own existence. Offer your own critical assessment of his argument."

Any help from previous and ongoing modern phiolosophy studdents will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Am I real?

Oh my god maybe everything was made by a demon just to fool me!!!

Well I'm real aren't I?

I'm asking myself this question... duh... cogito ergo sum.

Err... god is good

Good cannot deceive

Thus I cannot be deceived

Therefore everything is just as I perceive it.

This is an absolutely rubbish philosophical argument but they don't ask whether it is good, just what it is he thought.

Oh there's some stuff about 'original ideas' as well that you might want to analyse.

Your local know-all pedant,
    RandomName2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

This is an absolutely rubbish philosophical argument but they don't ask whether it is good, just what it is he thought.

Careful not to make this mistake OP

The question asks you to make your own critical assessment of his argument, that's the most important part, for you to be able to identify what's good and bad in Descartes' argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scuzzam

where the heck do we hand the hard copy of this essay in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

5th Floor of D. Margaret Brady's office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    5th Floor of D. Margaret Brady's office.

She appreciates apples and chocolates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

scuzzam wrote: »
    where the heck do we hand the hard copy of this essay in?

Just find the highest point above sea level in Belfield.

(and jump?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just find the highest point above sea level in Belfield.

(and jump?)

Give yourself 10 minutes to get up there...many a time I've sprinted up those 5 floors, waiting for the lift is a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

can anyone tell me if attendance of the tutorial is compulsory?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I would imagine so though also that there are not many marks for that.

Advertisement