Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(US) Dexter Season 5 Episode 5 "First Blood" (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Options
  • 25-10-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

From wikipedia:
    When Dexter is saddled with an unwanted conspirator, he is forced to make some hard decisions about her fate. Meanwhile, Dexter wonders if Rita's death has awakened a darkness inside Harrison. Due to Quinn's recent suspension, Debra works the Santa Muerte case alone, leaving Quinn time to enlist an old friend to look into Dexter

Haven't watched it yet, I've a bus journey to Galway this evening so I'll get on it then...

What did you think of First Blood? 34 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Pretty good
    2% 1 vote
    Average
    41% 14 votes
    Not great
    29% 10 votes
    Awful
    26% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

5x05 is First Blood... ep title and wiki quote are for next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sorry, still asleep this morning. Edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This episode was very average. I'm not interested in this Lumen character at all so far. And I have to say that the story that should have us all riveted -- i.e. Quinn's suspicions of Dexter -- is falling a little flat for me. The reasons, I think, are mainly due to Desmond Harrington's lack of charisma as an actor. Also, we don't see enough of Quinn and his character hasn't developed properly, so his obsession seems a little out of place. The cop he's soliciting to investigate Dexter doesn't look very threatening to be honest - he looks more a drunk than a threat to the Bay Harbour Butcher.
    I thought the LaGuerta/Batista story was good this episode for a change.

Poll added as well now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Painfully average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

This season just isn't doing it for me at all. The "Quinn suspicious of Dexter" story was done, better, in Season 2. Quinn is certainly no Doakes. Julia Stiles just bugs the hell outta me, so adding her into the mix was a bad move imo. Batista's paranoia and the outcome with the La Guerta sting was far too predictable in this ep. Debra is infuriating at this stage, she really needs treatment for that tourettes she has. The beheading-killers storyline is another non-event. Although, I am guessing those killers may be linked to the others who attacked Stiles, Stiles to botch an attempt to kill them and Dexter to get caught as a result....????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Complete non-episode. I am very dissapointed. They should have introduced one of the rapist/murderer ring.

The only good thing about this episode was the ass in the tattoo parlour. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I enjoyed this episode, it had a kind of classic dexter feel to it. Granted it was a bit of a slow burner and the name of the episode perhaps raised expectations or misled people in a certain way, but i was glad to see more of the banter between masula, debs, batista and dexter.

Julia Stiles isnt great and neither is Quinn. It says a lot that dokes is still missed.

Average from me too. Here's hoping the last few have been tame as a lead up to something whopper.

I'm beginning to think Dexter season 5 may be suffering from Manny Coto. He joined as executive producer this year and wrote the episode, "Practically perfect". He was involved with 24 and as much a I loved 24, the middle episodes were generally incredibly boring, setting up the last 6 episodes. With Dex, I've really enjoyed the first three episodes and meh to the last two. I hope they're not doing this slow build up to have an awesome finale, as I think they'll lose a lot of viewers in the meantime. He (Dex) needs more distractions, and by distractions I mean stalking and killing people :).

Of course, they could always end up doing the 24 ending, where LaGuerta is actually the head of los muertes (or whatever the beheading gang is called)

Yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The sooner Baptista and his wife are horrifically murdered the better. Quinn being thrown in prison for their murders would be a bonus. Poor episode overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

How's Dexter gonna cope with RoboCop spying on him....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yeah...if it was ever appropriate, then this three letter word is appropriate now.

Meh.

Filler abounds, unrelentingly.

What a pointless episode. Just make the series two eps shorter if you are going to have to pad it out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Meh...........just meh. This season is just.............meh.

Only thing that woke me up this episode was that Robocop is going to be on Dexter's trail now. :D

"Dead or alive...........you're coming with me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Probably the best part - the end with Robocop !

Julia Stiles is bugging me, the Quinn thing isn't as good as I thought it
    would be - nothing like Doakes.

Rita being dead, while a great ending to season 4, I don't think it works well for this season.

Is this the last season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Found it average too, we're almost half-way through the season and still it's not clear where the larger arc is going (or even which side of the story is the larger arc? Lumen or Quinn (unless they merge them effectively)?).

Though it seems the theme emerging is that Dexter is becoming incredibly sloppy: first Lumen saw him, then he nearly killed the sex offender and finally he told Lumen his full real name, which seems like a bad idea.

Still moving at a snail's pace though and a lot of irrelevant stuff happening too: what was the point of the tattoo parlor visit at all (since the symbol was not even a tattoo in the end)?

They definitely need to kick things up a notch and soon...

J-blk wrote: »
    what was the point of the tattoo parlor visit at all (since the symbol was not even a tattoo in the end)?

That ass!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

I thought it was the worst episode of dexter ever.
    Didn't keep me gripped at all.
    The story with Batista and La Guerta was funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Another really really poor episode.

Methinks the end is nigh for dexter. It has lost it's charm. Season three was pretty bad, season four was good, but lets be honest... the main reason for that was the fantastic John Lithgow as the Trinity Killer.

They're going to need to do something pretty spectacular with this storyline to not lose a serious amount of viewers this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Should have let Lumen kill the innocent. Then Dex would have had to kill her , then we wouldn't have all been shouting at the TV saying WHY DID YOU TELL HER YOUR NAME IS DEXTER MORGAN. Was half expecting him to say Kyle Butler.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

meh

that scene where she was gona shoot the rapist she thought had raped her, *yawn*

couldn't have been any more obvious if she'd held up a sign saying 'don't worry, dexter will stop me'. I thought dexter was a little bit above that kind of nonsense drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I enjoyed this episode, it had a kind of classic dexter feel to it. Granted it was a bit of a slow burner and the name of the episode perhaps raised expectations or misled people in a certain way, but i was glad to see more of the banter between masula, debs, batista and dexter.

Julia Stiles isnt great and neither is Quinn. It says a lot that dokes is still missed.

methinks they should do a dallas and have Dexter walking in on Doakes in the shower :D
    Hell at this stage I'd forgive any lameass attempt to bring him back :(
    I'd love to know wtf the writers were thinking off writing him off at the end of season 2...they obviously didn't think it through and now they're seriously regretting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It says a lot that dokes is still missed.

Doakes was a fantastic character. I felt sorry for him when the cabin blew up :(.

i think killing doakes off was the right thing to do, it was shocking.. i remember wondering how they were gona tie off that plot but never really thinking they were gonna off a character like doakes. There does have to be some sort of a suspicion about dexter from someone, but as above.. i dont think quinn is the man. I hope he hasn't given up on the kyle butler angle either.

also, they have to write a boyfriend for deb who isn't amazingly linked to the overal plot of the season. she is the unluckiest ****er on the planet. just let her get her rocks off for 1 season without any major crimes or serial killer nastiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

they have to write a boyfriend for deb who isn't amazingly linked to the overal plot of the season. she is the unluckiest ****er on the planet. just let her get her rocks off for 1 season without any major crimes or serial killer nastiness.

Fùck her, she had a chance last season with a relatively normal guy but she cheated on him with Lundy.

She's one hell of an irritating personality, 5 seasons in and I still don't like her............whingey bitch :pac:

but even he got kidnapped by the uh.. ex military tree cutter serial killer person and had his skin ripped off his back. they need to pick some drama for deb that isn't just 'omg the guy im sleeping with is a serial killer, was attacked by a serial killer or suspects my brother is a serial killer'.

Hehe - I actually like Deb , "I'd rather put a campfire out with my face" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D !!!

I heard that there is gonna be another 2 seasons of Dexter ?? anyone can confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The tattoo scene was one of the few highlights. Roll on next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I agree that Angela and the Mrs should be terminated asap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement