Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Lines In Sky At Sunrise

Options
  • 25-10-2010 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Other than five aviation trails from planes flying in formation at 7.30am, I have no idea what these lines are about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Other than five aviation trails from planes flying in formation at 7.30am, I have no idea what these lines are about
    They must be a series of light-reflecting contrails but nonetheless it's an amazing image and is equal to any I've seen on Atmospheric optics (a great site to wile away the time with by the way!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Looks like some normal busy transatlantic traffic. From your viewpoint they were probably these ones over Wexford. This screenshot is from 07:20, showing BA and Virgin both going JFK-Heathrow, and Air Canadas going from Montréal to Paris and Frankfurt. AFR347 is Air France Montréal-Paris, and BAW194 is Houston-Heathrow.

Although they look like they're in formation, they're all following the same track and it's their differing altitudes (31,000-39,000ft) that's making them look like they're side to side.

http://casper.frontier.nl/eidw/

132288.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

thanks Su. i was looking directly at shannon from miltown malbay direction

brilliant website by the way. thanks

thanks Su. i was looking directly at shannon from miltown malbay direction

brilliant website by the way. thanks

That'd make sense then ;)

Just had a nice effect of the passing Virgin 7Y A340-600 from Heathrow to LA casting a shadow on the cirrostratus sheet below. The plane was at 30,000ft, the cloud at 25,000ft.

5128494042_20cffe8f4c_z.jpg

5128493236_2f42ce767d_z.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement