Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsive Lying

Options
  • 25-10-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Psychs!

Is there really such a thing? Do people who lie about every little thing not realise they are doing it or are they "compelled" to do it? Taken in isolation it's annoying and frustrating but could it be the sign of deeper problems?

I would be interested in your considered opinions on this, as I have met a few people who lie non-stop about petty little things (in the way a small child would) and it is something that makes me very uneasy.

I am not asking for a diagnosis, just the various professional opinions on the causes and implications of this kind of behaviour.

I hope this is an appropriate post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thanks!

That article was spot on regarding the type of lying I wes referring to. I wasn't sure if I had made myself clear.

It seems from that article that there has been very little research in the area in recent years and what research there is has not achieved anything near a consensus view.

Personally, I give these people a wide berth, simply because I cannot fathom their motivations for lying. Someone lying for gain I can understand (not condoning it, mind) but just spouting schite that you know will be contradicted by something else you say a week later has no apparent benefit. Also, have noticed people like this become extremely defensive, even aggresive, when caught out in a lie. Actually try to convince you that you are wrong or that you are making stuff up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If you genuinely believe the stuff you come out with, is it still lying?

Also - see this NY Science Times article on deceit. We surrender it to it too, we like being deceived, I think this is fascinating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/science/23angi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PeterKelly!

I have a mate who suffers from this 'condition' , should I try to urge him to seek treatment or is it even recognized as a treatable condition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I have a mate who suffers from this 'condition' , should I try to urge him to seek treatment or is it even recognized as a treatable condition?

What treatment is available for this behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The article I linked to above should answer the questions posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I believe firmly, as a recovering compulsive liar, that it stems from avoidance. I read some of the first article and all I kept thinking was "Am I reading this because I want to, or because I have to".

For me, the words 'have', 'want' and 'need' are very interchangeable in my life. I feel like I 'have' nothing. I 'want' what I can't have and I need what I can't want.

I have delusions of grandeur but I feel like they aren't delusions. I couldn't even finish that sentence without qualifying the statement because...
    I want to be a stand up comedian because I enjoy making people laugh. But, and this is the biggest but you've ever seen, I feel like I won't reach that goal and am afraid of the boring normality that seems to rot.

It is not selfishness, in my opinion. Compulsive lying, in my case stems from jealousy that others have what I want right now in this moment. I should mention that I have been diagnosed with Body Dysmorphic Disorder, which essentially is akin to Anorexia, except I feel like I'll never be good looking enough, rather than the latter - feeling you will never be skinny enough.

To put it plainly, I want to laugh, because laughter is the best medicine and I know I can make people laugh. I am, however acutely aware that comedy is about lying and telling the truth at the same time. Misdirection.

I have also been diagnosed with depression. I don't feel depressed anymore. I [had] depression for many years but I feel fear still that in order for me to achieve my dream of becoming a stand up comedian I need more 'material'. Material being life experience, I want to go out and do lots of crazy things. Not technically crazy, but I want to live a life away from the banality of being tied down to desk.

I am a fan of the original 'The Office' series and my biggest fear is ending up like dawn. She 'doodles' and has a dream of becoming an illustrator. However, the realities of life and responsibility end up getting in the way of her goal.

So to bring it all back to compulsive lying... I... am... scared of being 'normal' because the best stand up comedian's have to be sane, yet completely crazy in front of other people.
    I have no problem acting crazy, but I have no outlet at the moment.
    Sorry for the long post, but freedom isn't free.

I have to 'act' not crazy so I can get off the medication that I don't want to be on anymore so it's a struggle between acting rationally but knowing in the future that I don't want to be rational.

Compulsive lying for me equals scared of being alone, boring and never achieving my true true dream of being a stand-up comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I also know a guy who sometimes does this. Usually when he's had a few pints.

I have no problem with a story having a few exaggerations, but every so often he comes out with a story which simply isn't true.
    These stories always relate to perceived sexual prowess.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation to the psychology behind this particular form of lying or point me in the right direction because I find it fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I also know a guy who sometimes does this. Usually when he's had a few pints.

I have no problem with a story having a few exaggerations, but every so often he comes out with a story which simply isn't true.
    These stories always relate to perceived sexual prowess.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation to the psychology behind this particular form of lying or point me in the right direction because I find it fascinating.

not really sure there is any treatment available - maybe self esteme issues or low confidence or a hightened sense of grandour/need for acceptance. What I've noticed is that people who lie don't feel secure in themselves - that their lives aren't interesting enough and they want to be the centre of attention - as if anyones' life was interesting.....................

Advertisement