Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad and Good simultaneously ?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

The Missus is into some shocking stuff.

This morning we've had Disturbed, Blink 182, Blue October (and band with Blue or October in their name are automatically shyt - FACT) and Evanesense (or 'EvaNonsense' as I call them)

Lyrically comical and musically cliched I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

However, the one thing they have in common is fantastic recordings - drums are fatter than me.
    Guitars are powerful or gentle as needs be.
    Vocals are faultless.
    Very, very impressive technically.

To combine that skill with something musically original would be very interesting ... perhaps the two things are never meant to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

Horses, Courses mate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I suppose the Biffy Recording has both the power rock sheen without the comedy elements ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The Missus is into some shocking stuff.

This morning we've had Disturbed, Blink 182, Blue October (and band with Blue or October in there name are automatically shyt - FACT) and Evanesense (or 'EvaNonsense' as I call them)

Lyrically comical and musically cliched I don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

However, the one thing they have in common is fantastic recordings - drums are fatter than me.
    Vocals are faultless.

To combine that skill with something musically original would be very interesting ... perhaps the two things are never meant to be?

"All killer no filler" was ok:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DBSound

Weren't you on this forum recently promoting J90's original stuff? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

DBSound wrote: »

ZING!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Blush :o

Best take that up with them !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Vocals are faultless.

The question does ask itself.

It's maybe something you should sit in a darkened room and think about.

It's possibly not any technical magic that's not within your grasp. You could be unconsciously doing something that's making your drums weaker - not having the right dynamic to your guitars (or any dynamic). I'm sure if you thought about it, and played with some recordings you have you'd be able to achieve those effects.

The other difference with those recordings is they may have a lot riding on them financially. So everyone involved will keep going at it until it really shines.

I was listening to some Indie last night - a compilation from the noughties. I listened to it twice - because I couldn't believe how awful and lack lustre it was.Mostly, I couldn't get over how alike and pedestrian each drummer sounded. They all had the same sound that I really hate - the small club drum sound - whummpy kick drum and the snare sound like someone hitting a wet nappy. All the hits and cymbals sound perfectly in time - perfect to the point they were annoying.
    Some of the bands were big name bands - most vanished after this. But listening even to the lyrics and singing - they were so pedestrian and plain bad but perfectly in pitch, it's no surprised these bands vanished - who in their right mind is going to spend 15 quid for eyeclawingly bad boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Snigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

studiorat wrote: »
    Snigger!

He's not just a rat he's the king rat
    or better yet batrat
    he's walk like a rat
    talks like a rat
    and produces like a rat
    he started on tape
    back in the day
    when a blade and a tape
    was all he could play
    he now plays bass
    and the monkeys flute
    he the king of the rats
    he's the sniggering rat

krd wrote: »
    So everyone involved will keep going at it until it really shines.

That's a big part of it - and most of the guys making those recordings are twice the age of the bands themselves, so there is some significant experience on the clock before a note is struck.

I tip my hat to their expertise while not sharing their musical taste.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

That's a big part of it - and most of the guys making those recordings are twice the age of the bands themselves, so there is some significant experience on the clock before a note is struck.

I tip my hat to their expertise while not sharing their musical taste.

I was reading a lot of the classic tracks pieces in Sound on Sound recently. In the past, very experienced engineers could literally spend months working on single tracks.

You probably can't make a silk purse from a sow ear. But There is a huge scope for doing stuff. There's Duran Duran.

I think if anyone wants to make anything really outstanding, they have to put the time and the effort in.

I realise now - that some music especially older stuff, with the equipment they were using, it was made and made good through sheer bloody mindedness.

Even stuff that sounds underproduced can have lots of invisible production.

Advertisement