Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Desk to CD Recorder/Burner combo

Options
  • 24-10-2010 1:51pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 rotabeast

Hi All!

I have been scouring the internet trying to find something that will fit the above description. I look after a PA system in a hall suited to seat 50-60 people, and now and again, I am required to record the "goings-on". Unfortunately a Desktop PC record and burn setup is out of the question. We did use that for a while, using Audacity to record, but we can't really go ahead with that anymore.
    So I was just looking for recommendations on a piece of hardware that I could plug into my mixing desk, and record directly to a cd without the medium of a desktop/laptop. I'm just a bit unsure of the spec that I need to look for. I had been using phono for the desktop and it worked well, but if theres any other interfaces that I could use, say USB, that would be brilliant!
    I understand that this may be a bit obscure, but this is the only option that I can really see working in the current setup that we have. The system itself is very basic, with the system being used for mostly vocal audio. There's the usuals of an amp/mixing desk, ceiling speakers, microphones and an MP3 player for some music. All of this works fine for the current layout, just that we need to record too!
    Really appreciate any recommendations that can be made!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Obi-Jim

Hi there,

I'm not 100% certain, but i'm pretty sure you can't record in real time to a cd. Well, I'd imagine certainly not on any affordable cd burner.

A more coventional approach would be to record to a digital recorder, something like this:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/zoom_h4_n.htm

Something with two line inputs (or mic inputs, depending on where you're recording from). Then plug straight into that and then transfer it to computer later to burn.
    People used to use mini disk recorders, not sure that they still make those though.

Hope some of that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ Wesley Creamy Pita

Bit off topic but would you not be limiting yourself recording in this way? As it would all have to be done to perfection in one go?

Plus you would be limited to whatever sample rate and format of the recording device whatever it would be.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 rotabeast

Yea, it definitely has its down sides..its not ideal.

That Zoom recorder looks like a decent bit of kit! Do you have any personal experience using it?

Thanks for the replies btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I'm pretty sure this will do the trick.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fostex_cr500.htm

Have used them (or something very like them) for recording classical music recitals, as a way of giving the conductor an instant copy at the end of the concert.

Advertisement