Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Life with David Attenborough

• 24-10-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

The ever brilliant Sir David Attenborough has a new programme about the development of early life on Earth.
    Billions of years ago, when life began, the surface of Earth was a very dangerous place to be. Searing temperatures scorched the land, noxious fumes belched from volcanoes and with no protective ozone shield, the sun's rays cooked anything that moved. Nothing could live here. But deep under the oceans, the seeds of life had already been sown. In the frozen depths of the deepest trenches, the first animals were born.

Before long the oceans were alive with vast reefs of strange creatures, each trying out newly evolved solutions to the problems of living. They had the first shells, the first back bones, the first legs and the first teeth. They were the first swimmers, the first parasites and the first predators, some of which grew to immense sizes, even bigger than a man. Many died out, but the successful ones became the blueprints of all modern life on Earth, from the tiniest ant to the largest mammal — they were even the first ancestors of you and me.

David Attenborough is synonymous with the Natural World. From bacterium to blue whale, he has seen it all for himself. But now he embarks on the journey he always wanted to make but never thought possible — a voyage back in time to see how the first animals evolved and how they lived. Recent discoveries at fossil sites around the world over the last twenty years have propelled our understanding of the first life forms to new heights and with the emergence of ground breaking ways of visualizing them, including state of the art CGI, Attenborough will finally realize his dream and see for himself the animals that laid the foundations for all life on Earth

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/first-life/about-show.html

sir-david-attenborough-324x205.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭invaderjim

Just watching Attenborough's Journey, a documentary about making the documentary First life that gives an insight into David himself. Really entertaining. Loved the scene where he is haggling over some trilobites.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea he really comes across as a genuinely nice, likeable and funny bloke with a huge appetite for knowledge and new experience. Defo someone to look up to and emulate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If I had a choice of who I would like to live like, I think it would be David Attenborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭invaderjim

Completely agree, the man is a legend. Really can't wait for the start of this series. I credit his work with getting me interested in science.

Would love to be on his crew making one of these series. Do you think there is a vacancy for someone to make his tea or mix his evening G&T's for him?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

For anybody who needs a quick David Attenborough fix Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life presented by the man himself is on Network 2 tommorow night @7pm, according to my TV Guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He was interviewed on tv yesterday and going by what he said, this could be his final series before he retires from tv work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He was meant to retire after Planet Earth.
    I think we need to record him saying every word there is so that when he passes away he can still narrate documentaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

When is this going to be on???? Sounds amazing. I love Attenborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The book is out. It costs €27 in Eason or half that price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Attenboroughs-First-Life-Journey/dp/0007365241/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288611975&sr=1-4

51JGOT2BiaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's also a DVD of the series for around €15 (probably closer to €25 on the high streets).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Attenboroughs-First-Life-DVD/dp/B0042HOQ02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288612108&sr=1-1

51Nj2jRP-5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Advertisement