Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Listen To Monitors?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

I've done some research on best monitors for my budget....i've narrowed down my choice to :

1. Dynaudio BM5A
    2. Adam A7/A7X
    3. Genelec 8030

Everyone says, you have to listen to them yourself to decide.
    I live in Dublin. Where in Dublin could I listen to these monitors side by side, to help me come to my decision?

Z.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Gawd be with the days when we used to have demo stuff to beat the band - in the current climate I don't think anyone here will have all 3.

However we do deal in all 3 brands and I've worked with all 3 models.

My own view is that the Dynaudio are pleasant which a slight hype, perhaps the most 'impressive' of the 3 (though impressiveness may not be something one needs in a monitor) - Engineer Phil Hayes (Bell X1 etc) for whom I have much respect , uses 6As exclusively.

I'd say the Adams are the most accurate perhaps with a slightly 'slow' bass a product , like the Genelec, of bass porting.

The Genelec has a 'false' bass and slightly aggressive upper midrange - this was proven by measurement in a Resolution magazine review.

I'd plum for the Adams - a pretty easy decision I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Gawd be with the days when we used to have demo stuff to beat the band - in the current climate I don't think anyone here will have all 3.

However we do deal in all 3 brands and I've worked with all 3 models.

My own view is that the Dynaudio are pleasant which a slight hype, perhaps the most 'impressive' of the 3 (though impressiveness may not be something one needs in a monitor) - Engineer Phil Hayes (Bell X1 etc) for whom I have much respect , uses 6As exclusively.

I'd say the Adams are the most accurate perhaps with a slightly 'slow' bass a product , like the Genelec, of bass porting.

The Genelec has a 'false' bass and slightly aggressive upper midrange - this was proven in a Resolution magazine review.

I'd plum for the Adams - a pretty easy decision I feel.

I find the Genelecs far too hyped, never was a fan of Dynaudio. The Adam's would be the first ones I would try out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Genelec all the way!!!

empirix wrote: »
    Genelec all the way!!!

Get outta town !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

Important to do some acoustic testing and treatment, no point spending a grand on
    monitors and chucking them in the corner of an untreated room.

the adams are the pick of the bunch but do make sure that the room doesnt colour them
    and give you ns10 results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

That's totally inside out thinking. NS10s are about as far away from room colouration as it is possible to get, given that they have probably the zippiest transient response available. Check the waterfall plots, no room could ever perform like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

A7X

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Big Bear sound has a range of Genelec's you can listen to in one of their rooms so that's one you can make an informed decision on.

http://www.bigbearsound.com/

-Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Thanks for the input guys....from research, it seems to me that they're all good speakers, but the Adams tend to get the most positive reviews...

I'm just wondering if I need to spend that amount of money on speakers, I won't be using them for mixing (I leave that to the pros, I'm just a guy recording in his bedroom), but I would use them for recording all my stuff...in that case, would I be ok going for some cheaper models (eg, KRK Rockits/Samson Rubicons etc....)???? Or is it just as important to have good speakers for recording as it is for mixing?

Zak.

Zak ,

I'm glad your research suggests the the Adam is the one.

The point of monitoring is to hear what's going on - information that many entry level monitors conceal.

If you can hear better you can make better decisions along the way - Mixing isn't a process independent of the recording, in fact , it depends on it. A bad recording can't be mixed as well as a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Zak ,

I'm glad your research suggests the the Adam is the one.

The point of monitoring is to hear what's going on - information that many entry level monitors conceal.

If you can hear better you can make better decisions along the way - Mixing isn't a process independent of the recording, in fact , it depends on it. A bad recording can't be mixed as well as a good one.

cheers paul...i totally understand what you're talking about...
    i suppose that when i'm recording, i'm sort of mixing as i go along, in that each sound i choose to record has to fit pretty well with the previous sounds i've recorded...also, each recording has to sound good....
    A bad recording can't be mixed as well as a good one
    very well put...makes total sense...

i know now that i have to splash out on good monitors....

thanks again paul...

Advertisement