Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Android updates - Better to buy PAYG from Vodafone or Factory Unlocked online?

Options
  • 23-10-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Want to buy HTC Desire HD and trying to figure out best option. I don't want bill pay and am deciding between buying a PAYG phone from Vodafone or Factory unlocked phone online.

What are the differences? Are there any advantages to Factory Unlocked phones in this regard? I had heard that they allow you to download HTC ROM updates directly from site. Is this not the case for PAYG Vodafone phones?

Also, on another thread, someone mentioned that the HTC desire HD is currently selling in Vodafone shops as PAYG and "contains no bloatware at the moment" does this mean it is factory unlocked for the purposes of direct downloads etc??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

If I remember right, when a hot new phone hits the market like this, stores like voda sell the first lot they get 'as is' this helps get the word out they have them as they then start to put the 'blot ware' on the next bach.

If your one of the luckly ones at the start you will get a junk free device and OS upgrads from htc not voda.

However if lets say Three.ie didnt have the phones untill next month, then it will have the crap ware on it as thats why they didnt have it at the srart.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

god's toy wrote: »
    If I remember right, when a hot new phone hits the market like this, stores like voda sell the first lot they get 'as is' this helps get the word out they have them as they then start to put the 'blot ware' on the next bach.

That's been my experience.

Even if you VF do sell you a Desire HD with bloatware on it, i'd imagine it's possible to debrand it easily enough (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 magicaljaso

god's toy wrote: »

If your one of the luckly ones at the start you will get a junk free device and OS upgrads from htc not voda.

However if lets say Three.ie didnt have the phones untill next month, then it will have the crap ware on it as thats why they didnt have it at the srart.
    wernstrom! wrote: »
    That's been my experience.

Even if you VF do sell you a Desire HD with bloatware on it, i'd imagine it's possible to debrand it easily enough (?)

Thanks to you both. How would I know whether the phone is branded/has bloatware i.e how would I know whether it is the equivalent of a factory unlocked phone when I start to use it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Thanks to you both. How would I know whether the phone is branded/has bloatware i.e how would I know whether it is the equivalent of a factory unlocked phone when I start to use it?

Well once it's opened/on it will probably be blatantly obvious.

..But once that's done, you've paid for it.

Ask them in the shop? If it comes in sealed HTC box, odds are they haven't put anything on it.

Can't think of any other way of knowing TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

basically when you turn it on if its branded it will have some vodafone loading screen probably.
    if its not branded it will be htc quietly brilliant

• Advertisement
Advertisement