Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slate FG-X

Options
  • 23-10-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

after spending on the VCC and being very impressed i decided to splash on FG-X ... all i can say is wow!

this thing gets you very loud while retaining the transients and even giving you options to manipulate the transients (kind of like a mixture of mild eq and transient designer).

the compressor is stunning, you can get quite a few db off and its stays transparent.

metering is spot on too.

slate_fg-x_big.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I'm still miffed the VCC doesn't work with Ableton... support taking ages :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

theres a beta 3 update due out within the next week thats going to address a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

after spending on the VCC and being very impressed i decided to splash on FG-X ... all i can say is wow!

this thing gets you very loud while retaining the transients and even giving you options to manipulate the transients (kind of like a mixture of mild eq and transient designer).

the compressor is stunning, you can get quite a few db off and its stays transparent.

metering is spot on too.

slate_fg-x_big.jpg

Transparent is not a word I'd use really. Ozone is much more transparent and offers more features. However, I'm still waiting for Slate to get back to me after I sent him on a mix I'm working on - looking forward to hearing what he does with FG-X and my mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Transparent is not a word I'd use really.

eh? the compressor is about as transparent as you can get. you can easily lob off 6/8 db on an entire mix without even hearing it.

eh? the compressor is about as transparent as you can get. you can easily lob off 6/8 db on an entire mix without even hearing it.

Sorry, I was more referring to FG-X overall and not just its comp. Would love to hear it in conjunction with VCC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Tried it and didn't like it.
    I found it to mess with the frequency balance of a mix and mush the low mids. It sounded like it was adding some sort of harmonic distortion to generate perceived loudness.
    It gets a lot of love on various forums so maybe it's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭iquinn

I found it to mess with the frequency balance of a mix and mush the low mids. It sounded like it was adding some sort of harmonic distortion to generate perceived loudness.

I tired it out and I felt the same.
    I prefer psp's xenon as a limiter. It did work well on one track(out of 10) though, but I wasn't compelled to buy it.

Slate's hoping to address this in v2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Epic fail from support... dragged on for weeks and then they can't even be bothered to link to a working vst demo... So left with an amazing first impression :) - Lost my business!

Advertisement