Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about latest version of Android.

Options
  • 23-10-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

I read that there is a 2.2 version yet my Desire which is 2.1 tell's me there is no update firmware and HTC's site also say's 2.1 is the latest!

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Yes there is 2.2 for the desire. Although certain carriers withhold the update to make sure the update will work for their network settings(and add custom software).

The 2.2 update was made available for unlocked desires in September though O2 only released it for their phones a few weeks ago. I'm not quite sure about other networks

I know it says 2.1 is the latest on htc.com,but they just haven't updated it yet.

Who did you buy the phone from Meteor,O2 Vodafone ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I phoned my carrier 3 and they said it was available but tbh I wasn't actually sure how much he knew.....

I phoned my carrier 3 and they said it was available but tbh I wasn't actually sure how much he knew.....

No don't listen to them, they know sh*t, if you have a question the answer will most likely be here :p.

I got mine about 3 weeks ago but i got it with meteor so it's unlocked ;).

There are methods to debrand your phone and then you'll be able to install the 2.2 update but you need to root the phone first and it's a bit tricky on newer models (no one click method just yet)

mmm, I am no whizz kid so guess I'll just have to wait til 3 come to their senses :(
    Can I say stupid fcks on this forum?

mmm, I am no whizz kid so guess I'll just have to wait til 3 come to their senses

That could take awhile:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

i have an unlocked 02 desire...
    a few weeks ago the 2.2 was available, but i was a bit slow to up-date as i saw people posting problems after they have up-dated...a few days after, the up-date disappeared...think 02 pulled it again until they could fix the problems

Thanks Scuby, I think I'll be patient and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

2.2 was out on 3 a couple of weeks ago. I updated a mates Desire to 2.2 and he is on 3 so the customer care person was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

i agree with Walkman i have desire with three, and got it updated 2 weeks ago, just keep pushing that update button, at start there was no update, and then boom update available.

2.2 android available on these network as far as i know.
    1) Three
    2) O2
    3) Meteor

NOt sure about vodafone

still no update showing damn it! :mad:

• Advertisement

Phoned them this morning and the tech guy said why do I want 2.2?
    I explained why and he said he will phone me later when he checks/gets some settings...
    Sounds very much like this update is very much on request?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Phoned them this morning and the tech guy said why do I want 2.2?
    I explained why and he said he will phone me later when he checks/gets some settings...
    Sounds very much like this update is very much on request?

Updates are OTA, it sounds very much like he doesn't know what he's talking about tbh.

So have you any idea how I get it then if its over the air?
    It's def not available on the HTC site.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

i got my desire on ebay, was an unlocked t-mobile one from the uk.
    i also had problems with the ota update. i done a factory restore on the device and then the update worked fine. maybe something you can try.

So have you any idea how I get it then if its over the air?
    It's def not available on the HTC site.

As has been suggested in this thread, first off do a factory reset after backing up any data on the phone you wish to keep. Then try and update again. If that doesn't work let us know.

No it didn't work. :(

No it didn't work. :(

Are you connected to the net via Wifi? Its possible due to the file size it won't show up on 3G, though I am just surmising.

Finally realised that 3 call centre is actually based in India and the latest person I spoke too went off for a few mins and came back and told me to drop into a 3 shop....I'll phone ahead. :rolleyes:

**Latest**

Call in 3 said that there was probably 2 batches some with 2.2 and some with 2.1, she said check the official Samsung website for 2.2 and if that fails bring it to that phone repair shop in the GPO arcade!

**Latest**

Call in 3 said that there was probably 2 batches some with 2.2 and some with 2.1, she said check the official Samsungwebsite for 2.2 and if that fails bring it to that phone repair shop in the GPO arcade!

Is your phone locked to Three, if not you can update really easily using the 2.2 WWE RUU? and I suggest you try the HTC Website ;)

• Advertisement

HTC website was checked about 5 days ago and everyday since, phone is locked to 3 and these fonemenders crowd don't even answer their phones, goes to some answeringmachine, every single one of their Dublin outlets, hilarious or what!!

You could just root it and flash a 2.2 ROM, I know that doesn't get round the basic fact that you shouldn't have to, but it would solve your issue.

I wouldn't know how to do that. :o

I sent an e-mail to HTC and got this reply....

"The Android 2.2 is just an over the air update,is not possible to download it from our website.
    The update wil arrive as a text message."

I sent an e-mail to HTC and got this reply....

"The Android 2.2 is just an over the air update,is not possible to download it from our website.
    The update wil arrive as a text message."

Aye if your phone was working as intended you would get a notification on your phone telling you an update was available. When you go into settings and check for updates, you are just manually doing what the phone does every day or so automatically anyways. You have a specific problem that your phone is not seeing the update when it checks for updates for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is your phone locked to Three, if not you can update really easily using the 2.2 WWE RUU?
    Whats this when its at home?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Whats this when its at home?

Its an executable file containing the World Wide English unbranded latest official ROM from HTC. You install HTC Sync, and by association the drivers for your phone, connect it to your PC in HTC Sync mode and run the RUU.exe, this will then flash your phone to whatever ROM is contained in the RUU, which if you have the correct RUU will be the latest.

RUU's can be found for download in a number of places, including xda

Advertisement