Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnox - Sony Oxford Plugins

Options
  • 23-10-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Based on the Sony Oxford Digital desk the Sonnox Plugins have a rep for hi-fi with very low noise and distortion.

Does anyone use them ?

Any opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Yeah paul... I obviously never used the desk so cant compare to the plugins but i love them. Im a big fan of the eq, the limiter and inflator.... Dont pretend to be a recording guru but these are right up my street..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I've seen Fergul Davis using them as part of his sonic arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Why did you pick them Alan ? They're very expensive in relation to many other plugins, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

They sound great, UI is not intuitive on the dynamics. Reverb is bettered by ReVibe IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

quite vanilla and the interface is a little small for my aging eyes ;) but they seem to get the job done. only ever used on a mates powercore so no idea on the vsts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Heard them being used and was blown away... Also heard the demos with them and last year i got a great deal for the native pack.... Decided to take the plunge and havent looked back..

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I've had the eq, inflator and limiter for a couple of years now.
    I use the eq wherever I need to remove unwanted frequencies. "Type 2" is my choice for this job. Never use it for boosting. Prefer waves SSL or URS Channel strip pro for creative eq.
    I normally use either the inflator or stillwell event horizon as a clipper for kick and snare drums. This gives better energy than a limiter for heavy music.
    The inflator can be used to add density but I normally try it then turn it off. It seems to give a very squashed sound to the low mids.
    Sonnox limiter is hit or miss for me. When doing a master I always try the Sonnox, Stillwell event horizon in limiter mode and ozone 4 and see which gives the best rms before distortion. Believe it or not, event horizon normally wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

"I use the eq wherever I need to remove unwanted frequencies. "Type 2" is my choice for this job. Never use it for boosting." - Trackmix.

Agree 100% with trackmix, Great at surgical work, Also the filters are very useful - no horrible resonance at the corner freq. but for adding Air or dialing in weight in the low mids the Sonnox comes a distant second to all the outboard eq's I use.

For the price - it should be a better all rounder in my view, but in fairness it's one of the best Plugs out there, prefer the Messenberg eq plug.
    -Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I found the EQ ok, but next to the UAD cambridge it stood no chance.

The sonnox is a nice cheap alternative, but was a little scratchy with the tops/air band.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Thanks Chaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SonasRec

I bought the full bundle a few years ago for the suppressor plug that was going to perform miracles on a sibilant vocal. It did'nt. Since, I've used all of the sonnox plugs regularly except that one. They are cpu efficient and get the job done every time.

The eq is surgical, not coloured, best software eq i've come across except for the Massenberg.

Dynamics is the most used. Expander,gate, compressor, limiter, sc eq and warmth, all in one efficient plug in.

I've used the transient modulator on percussion. handy for softening or hardening attack transients.

Limiter is good but recently started using Massey and prefer it.

Havent used inflator much.

Reverb is v good. Use it all the time. More character than convolution verbs. More like Lexicon sound. Would prefer to have Lexicon pcm native though.

Advertisement