Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeding hay?

Options
  • 23-10-2010 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me, how much hay should a 15 hd arab, who lives out, gets a small feed every day and isn't doing any work just yet should be getting? All the info i've looked at tells you how much by weight but i have no idea how much a normal, square bale weighs and i don't have any way to weigh the hay. So, should he get half a bale a day? Two-thirds of a bale? A whole bay a day? Thanks in advance, :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

half a bale should do him, a bit more if he is not rugged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It depends on the amount of grass available and the size of the field. As a (very) rough guide, if there is still a good bit of grass, aim for about quarter of the bale. If there are a few bare patches of grass, or if the grass is quite short, aims for about half the bale. If the grass is very short, give most of the bale.

This amount can be increased if it is not enough and you find the horse deteriorating in anyway. It is better to divide it out between morning and evening if possible. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Thanks for the replies, that is pretty much what I was thinking, I just wanted to confirm really. I'm going to get a load of hay and once winter really hits I'll probably give him as much as he can eat. Fingers crossed all the weather reports are wrong and it won't be as bad as last year! :)

Advertisement